Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2013 22:00

Inspiron 1525 will not boot up

I too have attempted to use the options mentioned in these posts and still nothing is working.  When it turn on the PC, I get the screen with the two options to either restart normally or let Windows try to repair the PC.  Neither one works.  I am becoming very discouraged at this point.  I keep hoping someone will post a solution that is easy to follow and solves the problem.  I don't believe my laptop came with back up CDs/DVDs.  I haven't tried calling Dell or Microsoft yet.  Has anyone been able to find a solution yet?  Thank you in advance for your time.  By the way, this just happened between Sunday night and Monday morning.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

March 12th, 2013 23:00

Hi Competition,

It might be an issue with the software or the hardware of the computer. You may try the following steps and check if it works.

Drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter
  • Remove the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter
  • Try to restart the computer and check

I would suggest you to run the on-board diagnostics to check the hardware functionality:

• Power off the computer
  • Press and hold the 'Fn' key, while the button is pressed and held, press the power button
  • This should initiate the diagnostics
  • Post back the results

If the diagnostics pass without any error, then try booting to safe mode and check if the system boots to the desktop:

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, tap F8 on Dell logo 2-3 times
  • This will take you to ‘Windows Advanced Boot Options’
  • Choose ‘Safe Mode’ in the Advanced Boot menu (use ‘up’ or ‘down’ arrow keys to highlight the option, press ‘enter’ to select)
  • When Windows finishes loading in Safe mode, check if the system is able to boot to desktop

If the system works in safe mode, perform system restore.

• Click on 'Start'
  • Click on 'All Programs' then click 'Accessories'
  • Click on 'System Tools'
  • Click on the 'System Restore'
  • Then click 'Next' on the "Restore system files and settings" window
  • Then choose the restore point that you want to use(choose a date when the system was working good)
  • After that click 'next' to continue
  • Then click 'Finish' on the "Confirm your restore point" window to start the System Restore
  • Then Click 'Yes' to the once started, System Restore cannot be interrupted. Do you want to continue? dialog box.
  • System Restore will now restore Windows to the state that was recorded in the restore point.
  • Immediately after logging in to Windows after the reboot, you should see a message that System Restore completed successfully
  • Click Close, restart the computer

Please reply if you have any questions.

March 13th, 2013 00:00

It turned out I did have the back up OS disc so I powered off the PC, inserted the disc, powered on the PC and ran the repair and it seems to be working again.  I did notice that the Antispyware and Antivirus portion of my Symantec Endpoint Protection software was malfunctioning and it's currently  updating.  I also noticed an icon for Java on my Task Bar (or Notifications area) which wasn't there before.  I am going to investigate that further as a coworker was just telling me today that he had a similar problem and found it was related to a bad update from Java.  Thank you for your reply!

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

March 14th, 2013 01:00

Hi Competition,

Glad to know the system is working now. Please ensure that Windows updates are up-to-date. You may update Java from the following link http://bit.ly/8eZt4j

Please reply if you have any questions.

No Events found!