Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2009 16:00

Inspiron 530 PC Factory Restore

In February of this year, my computer "whacked out", failed, stopped.  I was silly and had not purchased an extended warranty.

My sis took it to a computer repair shop, who replaced the original motherboard with a Foxconn G33M Series motherboard.   I am having severe issues again (very scary grinding noise when computer comes out of sleep mode and sometimes when it is restarted - is happening more often) and wouid like to restore my computer to it's factory ship state with the option that is listed on my computer..  Can I still do this even tho a different motherboard is being used. 

Please advise, I seem to have caused additional injuries and don't know what to do any more.  Factory Restore would make me very happy.  Thanks in advance for reviewing and trying to answer Ms. Computer Illiterate

5 Posts

Ok, will try.  Guess I associated the grinding noise with other issues since Microsoft had me do a "Rename Repository Folder" program to allow an SP2 download. This is approx when I started noticing the start up issues. which I then compounded by trying to "fix" things.  

14.4K Posts

The grinding noise you are hearing most likely is your hard drive going. You should seriously consider backing up it ASAP and look into getting a new one. Not sure that Factory Restore would take care of that issue.

What you can also do is again back up the drive and the run the Dell diagnostics on it. Press the F12 at the Dell splash screen and run the diagnostics on the hard drive.

5 Posts

November 11th, 2009 18:00

No F12 action occured.     Tried  Windows system repair, didn't work, tried system restore - says files are corrupted, unable to change.  If I start in safe mode, then go to log on, I don't have a problem.  Is it safe to run the PC Restore, then see if this resolves a conflict/filesl/ ????.

14.4K Posts

You are aware that running the PC restore will wipe out all your programs and data that you have added since you have had the system. If this is not a problem for you then doing a PC Restore might be a good option.

You will find instructions on doing this HERE 

5 Posts

Yes I understand, thank goodenss I am not a computer developer  and unfortunately not an intellient computer user.  So you think the motherboard change won't be a prob?

Again I appreciate your attention to my issue. 

5 Posts

November 12th, 2009 17:00

Ran the PC restore, think it solve my "conflict" issues.  I will definately learn before deleting, or trying to repair something again and I will never use CCleaner Registry "Fix It" again....   Thanks for tuning me into the modem issue, don't have grinding anymore however it does appear noisy so I will check into the hard drive issue and I will definately be backing up my files from now on.  Thank you so much for being there. 

No Events found!