Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 11th, 2012 18:00

Inspiron 530 boots in safe mode, but can't access repair computer under advanced boot options

Never gets past scrolling cursor in normal mode.When I try to access the repair computer mode, it switches to "other user" and won't recoginize my regular log in. I've only used one log in since new. Using Vista 32 bit system. Backup and restore center do not work in safe mode, Tried Fix-it Utilities by Avanquest, no help. McAffee virus scan runs in safe mode without errors. Happened the next day after loading "Microsoft security essentals" program. Cannot install or delete program in safe mode! Any ideas would be appreciated.

November 15th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

Please send me the system Service Tag and the name under whom the system is registered in a private message, so that I can check your system details and check what best I can do for you.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply to my private message.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

2 Posts

November 11th, 2012 19:00

Thanks for your reply. I have used the system recovery utility before, and it worked succesfully. Just to clarify, I can boot up in safe mode, but this time the backup/restore center does not respond and will not load.I can't seem to access the recovery OS either. I do not recall getting any Windows disks when I purchased my system from Dell.

November 11th, 2012 19:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to perform a System Restore, since the issue started after installing Microsoft Security Essentials. This will restore your system to an earlier state.

As the system is not booting into Safe Mode, I would recommend you to use the Windows CD to perform System Restore. Please follow the steps below:

1. Insert the Windows installation disc and shut down your computer.
2. Restart the computer and keep tapping F12 key.
3. On the System Recovery Options page, choose your language and other preferences, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. Select the Windows installation you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. On the System Recovery Options menu, choose System Restore.
7. In the System Restore wizard, select Restore my computer to an earlier time, then click Next.
8. In the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you would like to restore to and then click Next.
9. Click Next on Confirm Restore Point Selection window.
10.Once System Restore is complete, the system will restart.
11.Check if the issue is resolved.

Please reply with the results.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

November 19th, 2012 06:00

Hi schusterca,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my private message.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 21:00

Hello Priyanka

I am having a similar problem with my computer. I tried to do the Windows Vista Clean Install by myself. The instructions told me to clean the disk. I cleaned the disk drive but shut down the command prompt before it was done. When I went back to check it, it showed that the volumes had been removed and all data was cleared from it. However, there's a hidden partition on it with 47 MB of space and a FAT system. I do not think that was cleared. When I went to try to install the Windows Vista on it, I got an error message -Error Code 0x80042558. 

I went back to dell and it said that I can install to factory defaults. I tried to do this by pressing the F8 key to try to load the Advanced Boot Options. However, it will not let me do this.  Did I wipe this off when I cleared the disk? Is there a way to re-install it on the computer?

How do I correct this? I am working on a Dell Inspiron 530 network.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated?

Thank You.

November 29th, 2012 05:00

Hi ekuemoah,

Seems like you deleted the Dell factory image while reinstalling Windows Vista. I would suggest you to perform an Operating System Reinstallation once again with the help of Windows Vista CD and follow the steps mentioned in the Dells’ support site.

While you perform the reinstallation, ensure that you format and delete the partition’s showing in the list, this will create a new partition (Unallocated Space) where the Operating System will be installed.

Use the link below:

http://dell.to/ho6Eq2

Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

December 4th, 2012 05:00

Hi ekuemoah,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

No Events found!