Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2012 19:00

Inspiron 537 64-bit processor not allowing upgrade of Win7 64 bit Home Premium from 32 bit

Had installed Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit with 8 gigs of RAM on an Insporon 537, worked perfectly.  Then I got the Babylon virus, tried everything to get rid of it.  It kept reinstalling itself.  So, in desperation, I reinstalled Windows, but machine only let me install the 32-bit version.  First it default installed to the D: (Restore) drive, realized my mistake, then reinstalled Win 7 to the C: (main) drive.  Both times, it only allowed the 32-bit disc to install.  Think I corrupted the original factory setting restore files.  Any suggestions for a fix to be able to get the system to recognize the Win 7 64-bit installation disc?

Any help would be appreciated!

~bro.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

December 17th, 2012 20:00

Hello Bropous, 

I would suggest a Clean Re-Installation of the Operating System from the media (Recovery Disks). You would have to use the Windows 7  Home Premium 64-bit discs. The steps of re-installing windows are mentioned in the article on Windows 7 Manual Re-install.

**Note: Please ensure to back up all the data from your computer before performing the PC Restore as it would erase everything from your computer. 

After re-installing windows, please ensure to install the drivers in the correct order. It is very important for the computer to function properly. 

Please try the steps and reply with results; I’d be glad to assist you further.

No Events found!