Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2013 09:00

Inspiron 580 Desktop purchased January 2011

I wish to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8. The Dell site says my machine is not supported by Dell for Windows 8. Does that mean it is not possible to use Windows 8 on the Inspiron 580, or does it just mean Dell have not tested that machine for Windows 8 and would not help with problems that may arise? The Microsoft Windows 8 compatibility test throws up very few problems for Windows 8 on my configuration. Would anyone advise me to go ahead or just accept there may be a fundamental reason for not going to Windows 8?  

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 4th, 2013 09:00

This one:

"it just means Dell has not tested that machine for Windows 8 and would not help with problems that may arise"

Dell only supports operating systems that shipped on a particular machine.  Since Dell never shipped a 580 with Windows 8, there was no reason to test it, so they didn't.  They won't test and validate systems on newer and newer operating systems as they come out.  That said, there should be no other good reason why it couldn't run Windows 8.  The compatibility test should be your best indicator.

5 Posts

January 4th, 2013 10:00

Thank you. I think I will go ahead with the upgrade.

1 Message

January 18th, 2014 20:00

PC Manufacturers have slumped into the unholy custom, made manifest by the Cell Phone industry, of intentional abandonment of products more then one year old, in the hope this practice of negligence will spur upgrade sales.   There is a perfect storm (backlash) brewing, from the combined resentment consumers are feeling regarding these usurious support practices and constant surveillance of every click, download and habit,  that may finally spur the adoption of Linux on both PCs and PDAs (aka Smart Phones, Tablets, etc.).  I sure as heck hope so!

No Events found!