Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2015 13:00

Inspiron 620 Restore to Factory Settings

The instructions usually referenced for resetting the Inspiron 620 to factory settings is inaccurate. I had my C: drive go south with partition corruption and have made attempts to restore to factory setting using every method described in either forums or the usually referenced documents. The Dell Tools options are NOT available on the dialog box described after booting from the USB HD that came with the I-620. Using the USB HD gets me a boot, a file load, and a reboot into the corrupted C:/ NONE OF THE RECOVERY METHODS OFFERED WORK AS DIRECTED. And Dell no longer sells any other media for this model.

So I finally had to reinstall using a copy of Win7 Home Premium from my TechNet/MSDN account. I used the Dell OEM Product Key. The software installed, but will not activate. My Microsoft contact tells me the key has been blocked by Dell.

Would you be able to give me any advice on restoring the Dell Inspiron 620 to factory settings where that advice actually matches what's on the machine and WORKS?

Thanx.

Jim Lindley

MCSE, CNE, A+, et al.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 10th, 2015 04:00

A Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD will apply Dell Windows 7 OEM System Locked Preinstallation. A MSDM/TechNet/Retail installation media will not.

You can however apply Dell OEM SLP activation using the Activation Backup and Recovery Program:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/the-oem-or-retail-license-and-product-activation-windows-vista-7/the-activation-backup-and-recovery-program-windows-vista-7-version/

No Events found!