Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2009 14:00

Install order? Dell OS Restore, Drivers, Windows Updates, Updated drivers???

I'm restoring my Dell. I have the following: 1) Dell OS Restore Disk, 2) Dell Drivers and Utilities Disk.

Help please: I have a very specific question on the order of things - what's best to be done here. My concern (if you notice the difference in getting updated drivers) has to do with when to best install them. Approach A has me using the original drivers with the original OS and then doing Windows updates and ending with getting any updated Dell drivers - my thought being that the updated drivers may depend on or have been created as a response to Windows updates that have come out since the original drivers and compatibility problems of jumping right to using the newest drivers without having the updates from MS.

Approach "A"

1 - Install Dell OS Restore Disk
2 - Install drivers and utilities from the supplied Dell Drivers and Utilities Disk (perhaps older original)
3 - Windows Update (over and over until all high priority updates are done.)
4 - Go to Dell website for my computer and look for and install any *updated* Drivers and Utilities (AFTER going first to Windows Update)
5 - Windows Update just for good measure.

OR

Approach "B"

1 - Install Dell OS Restore Disk
2 - Install drivers and utilities from the supplied Dell Drivers and Utilities Disk (perhaps older orginal)
3 - Then go to Dell website for my computer and look for and install any *updated* Drivers and Utilities (BEFORE going to Windows Update)
4 - Windows Update (over and over until all high priority updates are done.)

Looking forward to advice and thoughts!

- David

1.1K Posts

August 24th, 2009 15:00

Hi David

Always better to provide computer model & Windows OS

Anyway if doing a Windows Clean Install (Manual Reinstall) use the Dell OEM Windows CD & Resources CD to install Windows & computer drivers

Then install Security applications

Then go online ONLY to download & install all MS updates

Then update Dell drivers only if having problems & driver update information includes fix for that problem

If you want to install updated Dell drivers as part of Windows Clean Install then you should download them & burn to a CD/DVD before starting the Clean Install

Follow the Dell Support Clean Install step-by step procedure, click here

You may need to click on the “change the Operating System” to select correct OS Procedure

Read the Dell Support step-by step procedures carefully & take a print if necessary

Dell computer drivers need to be installed in correct order, click here

36 Posts

August 24th, 2009 18:00

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your quickly replay. The Dell Studio 540 is brand new (one week only) with Win Vista Home Premium 64 bit-SP 1 (in English)..but was ordered in french. Dell - to resolve-send us a DVD ( Re installation DVD ) with no instruction on it. So, looks I need to re-install all from the beginning.About the Vista key...It's true there are some numbers and letters on the sleeve, but, after me,the line is not the Vista key at all. I will follow the steps from the support page...but no idea if the dvd has on it the Vista key or the dvd will not demand it (!)....I believe the re-installation will  delete all the image on the hard  who will be formatted (?)....Did somebody follow the steps and  knows what's happened (?) ...For me is the first time when i reinstall vista....Perhaps, I need to call them.Thanks again for respond me!

36 Posts

Hello guys,

I would like also to reinstall Visita Home Premium SP1 X64 in other language on my dell studio 540 .

My first question is: the dvd from Dell has on it the Vista Key or ...?The key for Roxio is also on the dvd?

Thanks for helping me.

Have a nice day!

3 Posts

Bell Boy,

Thank you for your helpful information and links. Some additional info and questions if you don't mind ...

It's a: Dell XPS M2010, system model MXP061, from about 11/2006

FYI - After the Dell OEM Windows install the system boots up at: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2.

I notice as I work through the "Drivers and Utilities" (aka Dell Resource CD) disc that as expected there are some drivers that aren't checked or aren't for the components on my computer - no problem. I understand. The CD has drivers for different variations of a set of XPS systems - some not for my own.

However - I also notice that I can't seem to find drivers/utilities/applications for other hardware that came with my system build. (Looking through the autoplay browser interface titled: "LOB: ,Platform: MXP061, Resource CD: Build 1381, Version A01 at Wednesday, July 26 2006 12:00:00 AM").

Windows Device Manager reports (with yellow question marks) 'other devices' that I will need drivers (and perhaps apps) for. I'm guessing I'll find them when I visit the page of drivers and downloads specific for my Service Tag (my system) ... but I also suspect I may have some investigative work to do to make sure I'm getting the proper driver.

And actual example ... wireless networking is a built-in hardware capability of my system but none of the listed wireless drivers on the Resource CD are marked for my system. The Windows Device Manager shows a yellow question mark for a "Network Controller" a few other things that aren't network related (Camera, Infrared) and one listed as "Unknown Device". I have my built-in wired network adapter driver installed and working as well as the 1394 adapter driver installed and working. So perhaps this "Network Controller" or "Unknown Device" is for the wireless device which is unknown to me with 100% certainty what it may be. (Granted however I have yet to visit my configuration page, etc. as you kindly asked me to do and I may very likely find what I need on that web page so please excuse me if you know my answers will be answered there when I do that very soon!)

I was fortunate enough (so I believe) to run a tool before the reinstall that listed the best it could all known devices and drivers for them on my system. And so ... assuming that was a correct configuration that it got it's information from I believe I have a "Dell Wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card" inside and will be looking for a driver for that (which isn't on the Resource CD but I would assume I'll find in Drivers and Downloads for my system.) I will NOT use the output of that third party tool as sole authoritative source for what I think I have on my system ... but it may be helpful. I may find it's unnecessary given what I find at the Dell site. I was unable at the time before the reinstall to hook my system up to Dell to have it scan for my current configuration.

One more thing - and more of a real question vs. hypothesizing ... I see in the Windows Device Manager 5 (five!) 'Default Monitor' entries listed under 'Monitors'. They all report they are OK. But I only have one monitor really. My typical action in such a case is to 'right click' on 4 of them and 'uninstall' 4 of them. Is there any harm in that? I know for some other systems I've had where I might have had sound driver trouble that I couldn't seem to solve by any other means I might uninstall all such drivers listed in that section, reboot windows and let windows go find and reinstall those drivers it could find (or prompt me for if necessary). Should I maybe uninstall all 5 of the Default Monitors and reboot or would I really be asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance and I hope not to have troubled you too much with my asking and thinking out-loud on this.

- David

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

You could download the latest set of drivers before you do the clean install and burn them on a CD.  That way you can install the latest drivers without all the hassle of  installling and then removing the old drivers (especially important for video drivers) just to install the newest ones.

BTW: Assuming your system was shipped after July 14, 2004, and you haven't previously reformatted the hard drive, you should have Dell's PC Restore (XP) or Image Restore (Vista) on the hard drive. It will reset the hard drive to exactly the same way Dell shipped it with the original drivers (a clean install)  in about 10 minutes. All personal files will be lost so they must be backed up on external media first, just as you'd back them up before doing a manual install.

In addition to saving you lots of time, PC (or Image) Restore will reinstall any software Dell installed at the factory, even though they not have provided an installation CD with your system. That softare will be lost if you do a manual reinstallation and don't have the disk to reinstall it.

For XP systems, access PC Restore by pressing Ctrl-F11 before Windows starts to load.

For Vista systems, access Image Restore according to instructions here.

Then follow up by getting your firewall and antiviral software running before going directly to the Microsoft site for all the security updates as Bell Boy already said.

My 2 cents...

Ron

36 Posts

August 24th, 2009 19:00

Hi Ron,

Sorry. It wasn't my intention.It will not happened again.To respond to your question...send them back...wow...it take time and I need the PC. For that, I don't know if it necessary to start another thread. Sorry again. To respond to:"you'll lose access to the Image Restore feature which resets the hard drive to exactly the way Dell shipped it" ....don't know if with the new coming Win 7 the Image Restore to Vista will remain necessary...BTW WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT THIS?...for me to restore to Vista from WIN 7 and..after that ...to  re-install Win 7 again...no  way.Thanks again to respond me.Have a nice day!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 24th, 2009 19:00

septigre,

Actually my comments were for fastenough, not for you. You jumped into the middle of his thread, which isn't polite. Next time, start your own thread. :emotion-5:

Generally, if you use a Dell Windows Reinstallation disk you won't be asked for the Windows key when installing it on a Dell system. The disk will automatically check to see if it's a Dell PC and then install without the key. However, Dell typcially puts a sticker somewhere on the system with your unique Windows key, so look around, in case you do need it.

Keep in mind that the DVD will only install Windows. You'll need to load all the hardware drivers, immediately afterwards. If Dell installed any software (either trial or "light" versions), that will all be lost.  Also, you'll lose access to the Image Restore feature which resets the hard drive to exactly the way Dell shipped it.

If I were in your situation, I'd make Dell take the whole system back and send what you ordered, assuming you did actually order a French version. In the US, you have 21 days from invoice date (not date of delivery) to request a new system. Don't know how that's handled in your country, but don't waste time before contacting them if you want them to replace the system.

Ron

3 Posts

August 24th, 2009 20:00

Ron,

Thank you as well re: the PC Restore info. Certainly if your system has that capability it can save a LOT of time!!!! I know. I have a desktop Inspiron that has that feature and it's nice and fast if you need it!

Unfortunately I don't know if it's because this system (an XPS M2010) has been around the block a few times (to Dell and back with HD replacement / restore) or if this system just didn't come with that feature. I'm pretty sure it wasn't on here before I started down the clean reinstall path as I used Windows Disk Management as well as two Acronis tools to inspect the disks (mbr, partition table and beginning of each partition) structure of both hard drives that are part of the XPS M2010 (system model MXP061).

It's possible the tools I used missed a very well hidden partition but the main disk had one and only one primary partition that consumed the whole disk (with Windows XP). The other disk was a replacement by Dell and it was reported by all tools to be unpartitioned and not formatted and not used ... not a single bit of the possible 120 GB's of it! Just sittin' in there lookin' pretty. Not so pleased to have just realize that but hey - nice to find an extra unused 120 GB drive in your system!

Usually the tools I use have shown me hidden partitions (or found them) on my other systems, even when they have been given a strange partition type. But I could be wrong (and the tools fooled) and missed an opportunity for a fast factory restore! Clearly pressing Control-F11 would have been a quick, easy and good test to try before I went forward!     So my lesson learned would be for people to give that a try as you suggest!

However - the other interesting thing is that this computer actually was supplied with a Restore DVD and a second Resource CD in a really nice 'pleather' CD case with silver embossed "XPS" letters on it (looks almost area 51'ish!) I don't recall now if that was standard issue or an extra item ordered ... and I don't know for sure what the original state of a on disk recovery/restore partition was or not. I am thankful for the Restore DVD and Resource CD that I got with the system as they sure came in handy today!

- David

1.1K Posts

August 25th, 2009 18:00

Hi again David

Resource CD should contain all the Dell drivers you need, but yes others have reported some required driver(s) weren’t checked or clearly identified?

Assume you did install drivers in the correct order, it’s very important?

Clearly if any hardware has been added you need to reinstall relevant driver(s) from manufacturers CD

1. Quote “I was fortunate enough (so I believe) to run a tool before the reinstall….”)

Not sure if it was Belarc Advisor (free) from here used by many Forum members to provide a detailed & accurate report of computer installed hardware/devices & software?

2. Quote “I'm guessing I'll find them when…. specific for my Service Tag

Correct, using your Service Tag will display the “as shipped” system drivers

This will reduce the XPS M2010 multi possible build spec from 44 files to (probably) 15 or 16 files

Makes life a bit easier, unless you have modified original build spec (i.e. changed hardware)?

When selecting a driver, check the version & look for Fixes & Enhancements information, if available

Some Forum members have encountered problems when using updated Dell drivers

3. Quote “Should I maybe uninstall all 5 of the Default Monitors…be asking for trouble?

Personally I’d leave them alone, but it’s your call

If you intend to delete any of them you had better first create a Windows System Restore Point

It’s not unusual on some systems to see a number of default monitors in Device Manager, as specified by the Setup monitor.inf file located in C:\Windows\inf folder

When you right click & select Properties for each monitor, looking at General tab Location

All 5 monitors should be pointing to the same correct installed Video driver

No Events found!