Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 5th, 2004 16:00

Internet Freezing and Notepad

Basically the problem that I am having is that when I attempt to open up a pop-up window by clicking on a link, it causes everything to freeze and I have to close and then reopen the webpage that I was on (often by doing CTRL+ALT+DELETE). It also does not happen on every site, for example, it happens on sites like Hotmail and Neopets but not on AutoTrader or UCAS.

Does anyone have any idea how I could sort this - it's really annoying as I'm unable to access certain places? My ISP is AOL 8.0 (although this happens when I use Internet Explorer also) and I am using a Dell Dimension 2400.

Oh, and another question is that for some reason my computer is unable to open Notepad or any Notepad documents. Is there anyway I could get a copy of the program to download onto my PC?

Thanks

4.4K Posts

jofilan,

Some of the symptoms you describe could be the result of viruses or malware.

First, make sure your antivirus software definitions are current, and scan your system for viruses. If that doesn't resolve the problem, follow the directions for downloading and running Ad-Aware and Spybot posted at the Gladiator Security Forum.

If you aren't able to resolve the problem using Ad-Aware and Spybot, download HijackThis, a malware analysis and repair tool described in the link listed above.

You can register and post your HijackThis log at the Gladiator Security Forum, or one of the sites listed below:

Subratam.org
BleepingComputer.com
ZerosRealm.com

There's been a renewal of successful malware cleanups in the Dell Forums Virus/Spyware Information and Removal board. You may want to post your HijackThis log in that board.

Copy and paste the contents of the log you saved in a new message in one of the forums listed above. Be sure to describe the problem you're experiencing. DON'T ATTEMPT TO FIX ANYTHING REPORTED BY HIJACKTHIS without expert advice!

There are lots more people with malware problems they haven't been able to resolve than there are expert HijackThis analysts, so please be patient. Please see the Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals (ASAP) site for a complete list of member sites providing support and assistance.

Jim

2 Posts

I am also using Windows XP Home Edition
No Events found!