Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2009 14:00

Java control panel

I have a Dimension 3100, Windows Home Edition XP, Service pack 3. When I try to access Java in my control panel I receive the following message: System cannot find the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Runtime Environment\1.6.0_11. I've been trying to correct this for awhile. I just did a system repair today and that did not solve the problem. Then I went to Dell Help & Support and the recommendation was to download & install the Latest Revision of Sun Java Runtime Environment Download. When I tried to do that I got a message stating: This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall? If I hit yes it says: This action is only valid for products that are currently installed. That makes no sense! After the system repair today I updated all windows & java. Prior to the system repair I worked with the Dell Community technical forum & the malware forum, neither were able to resolve the problem. The suggestion from the technical forum was the system repair. No malware was found. My next resort would be a system restore which I hope to avoid. Can someone help me? Thank you.

2.6K Posts

March 4th, 2009 15:00

I thought you already decided to do a restore in a previous post :) .

Google has lots of hits on this problem, but the only success story I found is in the last post of the link below.   Basically in that case it appeared that disabling the JAVA quick-start service (Start - Run - services.msc), then disabling the jusched.exe from startup (they used Spybot tools, but you can do it with Start - Run - MSCONFIG, or with CCleaner tools), cleaning everything again, and starting over did the trick.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/785996-solved-windows-xp-java-issues.html

If that doesn't do it, I'd say you've pretty much exhausted all the possibilities.

67 Posts

March 5th, 2009 11:00

Yeah frustration was setting in. Had already backed up files & after repair, decided to come back to Dell before restoring. Thanks for your quick reply. I read the thread & was ready to give that a try. When I started, the first step : START/RUN/SERVICES.MSC and stopped Java Quick Starter, I did not find the Java quick starter there. Anyways, I continued to perform all the other tasks in her post but, after everything, still NO LUCK :( Everything is still the same and not working. Are there any other options for me other than restore? If not, I guess I will have to go that route. Thanks for ALL of your help! I really appreciate your time.

67 Posts

March 6th, 2009 12:00

Quick question. Do you think RegCure could fix my Java problem? Thanks!

2.6K Posts

March 6th, 2009 15:00

Regcure will cure you of $29 :emotion-2: .

Tough love time.  Looking at your post history you've had multiple problems dating back to December, and not just with Java, and 2 Microsoft MVP's couldn't fix your problem.  You need to bite the bullet and do the restore.

67 Posts

March 6th, 2009 16:00

Thanks for the quick response :emotion-1:. When I had problems back in December the person I worked with fixed my problem, but this Java has been a royal pain. The two people who tried to help me sure gave it their best shot. I guess it's time to take that bite ...ugh! Thanks for your help it's appreciated! Have a great weekend!

No Events found!