Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2008 12:00

Just feedback: When Dell discontinues XP and forces Vista

I will discontinue Dell.

I'll discontinue XP when MS removes their last trace of support for it ... or when Vista becomes (A) Stable and (B) Runs all my applications but not simply because Dell made a deal with Microsoft to force us pesky customers to behave as MS wants.

1.7K Posts

Dell didn't make a deal with MS to force anyone to do anything.  Microsoft own Windows, and thus controls who is able to sell it and when.  If they had decided that there would be no more copies of XP sold starting on the day Vista came out, there would have been no legal way for Dell to continue selling XP.  When Dell stops selling XP, it will be due to the fact that Microsoft has stopped selling XP.

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

Edit:  NM - misread the post.

The problem is not the Dell company or any other manufacturer. Microsoft has to force people to an OS that can not be pirated as easily as XP. Xp will be available even after OEM sellers discontinue offering XP on a new build PC. Vista will soon fall to the side after a more stable version is perfected..hence a new name , look, and Hefty price tag. But for now all consumers buying new PC's will be forced to use Vista or Linux. You can uninstall Vista and replace it with Xp,or Linux , but you will find some of the PC components do not have XP or Linux  drivers available. Rats... been there done that. Moreover PC's are being shipped with Motherboards that have components not supported by Vista...only after the online update you can get the correct drivers...example azalea or AC97 ECS motherboards .... sound drivers. Can you imagine buying a new PC that has no sound support ! You have a cute little icon on your brand new PC that says sound drivers not supported ? Everything will be internet based on live active X controllers to monitor Faults and Security issues..ie piracy :)      Power user 11 years experience

3 Posts

November 14th, 2008 20:00

I have been running Vista on 3 Dell machines now for about 8 months.  The big machine just went to Ultimate 64 and they have all been rock stable.  Much more so than XP was and with the latest service pack, drivers and turn off the annoying User Access Control I have no complaints about the OS.  MicroSoft owns the product and only licenses it out to the vendors.  There will always be choices.  I still have several copies of Windows for Workgroups, 95 and 98 but I can say that now that Vista has been out and is starting to mature that I am glad I am using Vista.

If you have more than 4gb of RAM then Vista Ultimate 64 is the way to go.

No Events found!