Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2007 14:00

Lost Solitaire Game

I have a 2 year old desktop with Windows XP.  I play solitaire every morning for about an hour.  This morning it was gone.  Not on my desktop.  Not on my Programs - Games.  All other games were there, but not solitaire.  Was it just tired?  How can I get it back?  I am going crazy without my morning cup of coffee and solitaire....

2.6K Posts

November 14th, 2007 14:00

Not sure if this will help, but with any luck you just lost the shortcut.  Go to C:\Windows\System32 and look for sol.exe.  If it's still there, you can create a new shortcut.

If it's not there, there's probably a backup copy in C:\i386, or in C:\Windows\System32\dllcache (though you'll need to show hidden folders to access the dll cache).

Edit: Here's a more "elegant" way to do it - and get it exactly back where it belongs (copied from here :

Lets find out if the file still exists - go to Start > Run and type in sol.exe > OK
If solitaire opens then fine, youve just lost the shortcut, no worries, we can fix that.
go to Start > Run and type in (or copy and paste it) \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games > OK
In that window, right click in it, select New > Shortcut > then copy and paste this into the box %SystemRoot%\system32\sol.exe > Next > give the shortcut a name - Solitaire > click Finish
If sol.exe cant be found than we can reinstall Solitaire quite simply by going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components > highlight Accessories and Utilities and click on the Details button > highlight Games and click on the Details button > tick Solitaire and click OK

Message Edited by Alexandra_P on 11-14-2007 09:03 AM

2.6K Posts

November 14th, 2007 19:00

Hooray - got it in one :) Glad to help, and thanks for posting back that it worked.

4 Posts

November 14th, 2007 19:00

Thank you so much for your help.  It worked. 

97 Posts

November 15th, 2007 12:00

Although it costs $24.95, if you like and play Solitaire as much as I do, you'll like Pretty Good Solitaire form this web site. There's a 30 day trial version you can download and try.

Message Edited by jimisham on 11-15-2007 08:16 AM
No Events found!