Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

October 31st, 2007 17:00

Lost Wnidows XP product COA when service was done

does anyone know who I need to call. During the last servicing (just before my warranty expired) of my laptop (which came with Windows XP Media Center) I had to send my computer in to get repaired, after the tech guy that came to my house (dispatched from dell) couldn't fix it. Before I sent it in I didn't think to write down the product key on the sticker under it. so when they replaced the underside of my notebook (the side with the sticker) I lost my product key. My hard drive recently got wiped so now I don't have a working installation of windows XP to find it on. I was wondering who to call, if there was anyone I could call(before trying to get a new one) in order to get a copy of my old one. Thanks for the help.

77 Posts

October 31st, 2007 18:00

HI there

you can call Dell customer care they should provide you the product key.

By the way if you are using a Dell OEM CD for doing a clean install then you will not be asked for a product key at all.

well my computer came with a hidden partition that acted as a Windows CD for re-installation and restoring defaults and such but I accidentally corrupted it and had to call dell for a physical cd and they sent me one. thanks again.

im sorry but I cant seem to find a dell customer care is it the 1 800 999 3355? or is it something specific?

12.7K Posts

If you use the Dell XP reinstallation CD, you do not need that COA key. It will install without asking for a key.

Request all CD's for that system here

Message Edited by mombodog on 10-31-2007 02:03 PM
No Events found!