Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2008 09:00

Lost card reader icon in my computer window.

I'm trying to help a friend. The card reader icon has disappeared from his My Computer window. I believe his program is still on computer. Does anyone have any idea on how to retrieve the icon.

He has an Vista OS.

338 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 17:00

Dell Jesse and paindoc. We now have the reader problem resolved. The reader program was still there and we did an repair on the program and put a new shortcut on the desk top. The reader icon came back in my computer and reader is working fine. Thanks for your help. We just tried some things that you were suggesting the area to work on. Sometimes a new thought gets your thinking process started in the right path.

• 

17K Posts

December 3rd, 2008 06:00

Evermore,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for the card reader? If not, you may want to see if that will resolve the issue.

338 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 14:00

Thanks Dell Jesse l. Probably a dumb question but where would be the best place to go get the drivers?

December 3rd, 2008 14:00

The drivers for the card reader are on the installation CD or from help/support from the maker of the card reader.  If the program is "still on the computer,"  open it and see if it has an upgrade.  Your friend does not need an icon for the reader because readers start when a card is placed into the reader slot.  In my computer, the disk drive for the reader should be listed.  If not, it needs to be reinstalled as suggested by Dell Jesse.

338 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 15:00

paindoc. The disk drive for the reader is not listed in "my computer". The reader will not start when a card is placed in the reader. I will do some more checking but I believe the program is still listed in his programs. I will also check and see if he has the original installation disks.

No Events found!