Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2005 22:00

Maxtor - External Hard Drive - Retrospect Express

I have a new Dell 8400 with an external Maxtor drive.  It works well.  It uses Retrospect Express software.

The software does not recognize my internet connection.  It will not allow me to register and occasionally it tries to access the internet but fails to make a connection.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dom

12K Posts

June 3rd, 2005 13:00

Make a connection to the internet then try using the software.  Most times it will remember the connection values and connect by itself.

18 Posts

June 3rd, 2005 19:00

Thanks.

I am always connected.  Cable Modem is always on.  But this is the only software that tells me it has trouble connecting.  Problem occurs even with the firewalls down.

PS - I just visited a frend this afternoon who has the same Maxtor drive with Retrospect software.  However, she is using a new Dell 4700.  She has the same issue.  Cannot register the software because connection fails.

Dom

11.9K Posts

June 3rd, 2005 21:00

@ciarmer wrote:

Thanks.

I am always connected.  Cable Modem is always on.  But this is the only software that tells me it has trouble connecting.  Problem occurs even with the firewalls down.

PS - I just visited a frend this afternoon who has the same Maxtor drive with Retrospect software.  However, she is using a new Dell 4700.  She has the same issue.  Cannot register the software because connection fails.

Dom

Open Internet Explorer and then try.  If it doesn't work, contact Maxtor.

Why do you need to register anyway?

18 Posts

June 3rd, 2005 22:00

Rick:

Thanks.  I don't really want to register, except maybe if I need an update.  Problem is that occasionally, the program attempts to connect on its own (I presume it is still trying to register with the information I gave it on installation).

There is no way for me now to tell the software to make its connection (the interface is very simplistic).  I'll just have to wait for it to try to connect again on its own.  It usually tries three times before calling it quits.  Next time it does, I'll open Internet Explorer before I click "try again".

Funny, it has not attempted to connect for a few days.  Perhaps it was successful at some point. (Maybe at a time when Internet Explorer was open!).

We'll see.  Again, thanks for your time.  I appreciate it.

Dom

12K Posts

June 4th, 2005 04:00

I meant what Rick said, open IE and make a connection.  And, a hard drive needs an update??

18 Posts

June 4th, 2005 11:00

No. I meant backup software update, not hard drive update.

By the way, the software tried to connect again this morning (on its own).  It failed four times, then stopped trying.  There is nothing on the Maxtor site.

Dom

4.4K Posts

June 5th, 2005 01:00

Dom,

Have you visited the Support section of Dantz's web site? There's information there about online registration. Dantz is the company that develops and supports Retrospect.

Jim

18 Posts

June 5th, 2005 09:00

Jim:

Thanks.  That was helpful.  Going through the Dantz Forum, it is pretty clear that this vendor has packaged software with the Maxtor which is very, very buggy.  My problems are very small in relation to the problems that I've read about there.  Since the software seems to be working for me in every other respect, I think that I'll just be leaving well enough alone at this point.

Thanks again.

Dom

No Events found!