Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2012 19:00

Missing drivers and BSOD while trying to do Clean Install of Windows 7 on Dell Studio XPS 1647

Hey there! I have been working my way through the Clean Install of Windows 7 on Dell systems, and I am stuck. 
I had to do it this way because when I tried to restore to the Dell factory image, I received the Parameter is incorrect error.
I used DBAN to wipe the system, then followed the instructions for the Clean Install of Windows 7.

After I click "install now" I receive the following message:
 A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. 
 If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now. 
 Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step.
When I used the drivers I got from the dell site under the "SATA Drives" and "CPU" categories as advised, I receive the following message:
 No new devices could be found. 
 Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media.
I then googled that error and found this link to the intel drivers:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%C2%AE+RST

I tried the drivers for my computer and system, no luck.
In trying the different drivers out unsuccessfully, I occasionally get this BSOD:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
*** Stop: 0x000000A (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000001, 0xFFFFF80000C499D1F)

Any ideas? I imagine there's something silly I've completely missed. Any help would be much appreciated! :)
Windows 7 64 bit
Dell Studio XPS 1647

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 30th, 2012 20:00

9 times out of 10, that CD/DVD message means your Windows 7 DVD/media is corrupt.  Are you using a Dell W7HPx64 DVD, or are you using media you obtained from some place else?  This is a very common problem with corrupt downloaded media.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 30th, 2012 21:00

Yes, that is a good place to start.  You might try a few different things if that doesn't work:

- Download the ISO again

- Use a download manager to ensure the integrity of the download

- Create the USB using a different flash drive, on a different computer, and/or using a different method

- Do a FULL format of the flash drive.

- Burn the ISO to a DVD (DBAN should NOT have disabled the optical drive).

- Order a Dell installation DVD ... it shouldn't be necessary, but ...

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 1st, 2012 02:00

You should be able to eject the DBAN CD/DVD from your DVD drive. The XPS 1645 has a slot design and not the tray. Looking around it seems like the common is problem. I don't know if there is a way to eject the CD/DVD within the BIOS. You can try following this tutorial using cable ties.

http://techblog.willshouse.com/2012/11/18/dell-studio-xps-cddvd-drive-stuck-solved/ 

You will need to use a new machine to make a bootable USB or DVD. The .iso to USB/DVD should format the USB flash drive however you may want to use the HP Format Tool to format the flash drive first.

However I recommend using one of the USB flash drives from here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/4091.08-recommended-upgrades-for-your-dell-before-a-clean-install-of-windows.aspx 

These USB Flash drives have always worked for me.

What .iso did you use? X17-58997?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 1st, 2012 03:00

I'm going to go ahead and try formatting the USB drive with the HP tool, re-make the bootable drive and see if it works this time. If it works correctly should I have that "CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" error pop up? What I mean is, does that error mean that the installation is corrupt, or that I just need to find the right driver?

9/10 times it means the media is corrupt.
If you cannot install on your hard drive or see your hard drive, it usually means you require a SATA driver.

Check that the .iso file you have is 3.09 GB.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 1st, 2012 11:00

I have heard of some flash drives not working, but of the dozens of different brands, sizes, types, I've probably used, I've never found one that didn't work for me, and I do nearly all of my Windows 7/Server 2008+ installs via USB.

You should not see the CD/DVD driver message ... there is nothing special about this system's chipset that would justify needing to load a driver for the optical drive (usually SATA, connected to the same controller as the SATA drives).

6 Posts

Here are some further details. It is refurbished, but I'm not sure if that is relevant.

System Vendor

Manufacturer    Dell Inc.

Model   Studio XPS 1647

BIOS Information

Vendor  Dell Inc.

Version A07

Processor Information

Summary 1 Physical Processors / 2 Cores / 4 Logical Processors / 64 bits

Name    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz

Vendor  GenuineIntel

Original System Clock   133 MHz

Storage Device Information

Disk 0  320.0 GB        WDC WD3200BEVT-75A23T0  Western Digital

DVD Writer 0            TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633C (TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW

TS-T633C)       Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corporation

Memory Information

Slot 1   DDR3 (PC3-8500F)        2048 MBytes     Samsung

Slot 2   DDR3 (PC3-8500F)        2048 MBytes     Samsung

Display Adapter Information

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670     1024 MBytes

Sound Adapter Information

ATI High Definition Audio Device        ATI Technologies Inc.

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC IDT

Network Adapter Information

DW1520 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card   WIRELESS LAN    Connected [48 Mbps]

Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet  WIRED   Disconnected

Operating System

Type    Windows 7 Home Premium x64

6 Posts

Thanks for the response!!

I downloaded the .iso file from digital river:

en.community.dell.com/.../3316.2-1-microsoft-windows-7-official-iso-download-links-digital-river.aspx

Then I made a bootable USB. The DVD currently in the computer (Boot and Nuke) won't eject because I wiped everything. So, I guess I'm stuck with USB, do you think I should just try to reformat and re-create the bootable flash drive?

6 Posts

December 1st, 2012 03:00

I did use the X17-58997 .iso file.

I'm going to go ahead and try formatting the USB drive with the HP tool, re-make the bootable drive and see if it works this time. If it works correctly should I have that "CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" error pop up? What I mean is, does that error mean that the installation is corrupt, or that I just need to find the right driver?

I'll dig up some zip ties and try that trick out for the stuck disc so I can try burning a DVD too.

If that doesn't work I'll try downloading the same .iso file again using a download manager.

Thanks for the tips!

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 01:00

I used the HP Format Tool and re-downloaded the .iso file and made sure it was 3.09 gigs (the one I was using before somehow wasn't this size, even though it was the same file number??). Worked like a charm. Thank you so much everybody, this problem was "driving" me nuts. I apologize for the pun.

:)

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 08:00

"re-downloaded the .iso file and made sure it was 3.09 gigs (the one I was using before somehow wasn't this size, even though it was the same file number"

The file got corrupted during the download is why ... but file corruption can happen and end up being the same file size too, which is why the recommendation to download it again.  The fact that this is so common is the reason I asked which media you were using ... this seldom, if ever, happens with "official" media.

Glad you got it working.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 13:00

Great :)

No Events found!