Highlighted
2 Bronze

Missing or Corrupt File: System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

The computer I am having a problem with is a Dimension XPS-B 8001 with a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

On startup after the blue Dell logo it stops at a black screen with white letters with this error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:  System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys.  You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.  Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have tried the disk that came with the computer called "Resource CD"  which has the Drivers on it, but there was none called "Setup CD-ROM.  I have also used F8 function to go into Safe Mode and choose options there.  Everything I try comes back to the same error screen.

Any help will be much appreciated.  Thanks, Sharon

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Re: Missing or Corrupt File: System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

That file is probably on the Windows XP CD.  Run a "Repair" on Windows XP and see if that fixes it.  You will have to boot with the Windows XP CD so you may have to temporarily set the CD drive as this first boot drive in the BIOS, so you can boot from the Windows XP CD.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i7 8700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

This could be a corrupted file or a Ram problem. The memory diagnostics are on the Dell resource CD or you can get a floppy version fron Dell downloads. If your Ram checks out OK, you can find directions to repair the file Here:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBK/tip5400/rh5410.htm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks to both of you.

I set the CD-ROM to be the first start up, inserted the XP CD, and everything looked like it was doing a restore, then it stopped and asked the administrator password.  I have never set one.  Is there a way to get around this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

As it probably was never set, leave blank, click OK.

Precision Tower 5810, Quadcore Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3, 3700 MHz
RAM:16 GB PC6400 DDR4 SDRAM 1066MHz
HDD: 2x ATA  ST500DM002-1BD14 500GB SATA non RAID
DVD:HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GTA0N SCSI and PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AES SCSI
Video: nVIDIA Quadro K4200 PCIe 4GB
Audio: Recon3D PCIe, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 speakers
Monitor: Dell E2011H

7.1 pro sp1 64 bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I left blank, hit enter and it just asked for it again.  I tried 6 and 8 0's and that didn't work either. 

All suggestions are sure welcome!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

instead of getting this message "1 file(s) expanded." i get "access is denied" is there anything else i can try before just reinstalling XP?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I do not know what is meant by the following in JSI tip 5410:

1. select the installation you wish to access

2. enter the administrator password

As a previous poster said, I get an "access is denied" message

Your help wopuld be appreciated. As I try to work with the Dell Support they do not seem to be responding to my direct questions.

bboyd1956

0 Kudos