Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2006 19:00

Moving Documents and Settings Folder

I have repartitioned the hard drive on my new XPS410 with 500gig drive and plan a separate drive for "data" to move easily to laptop and back up. I know how to redirect Word files, etc., but need some help as to how to move successfully the "documents and settings" folder which Windows XP uses periodically to save data, etc. Can you tell me how to do this?

1.3K Posts

October 18th, 2006 19:00

Use this link on above for files and settings transfere.

Use the link below for using XP backup routine.

See if this helps on what you want to do.

570 Posts

October 18th, 2006 20:00

http://thundercloud.net/information-avenue/my-documents/

1.3K Posts

Windows seems to use the My Documents file as a sort of miscellaneous place to store stuff.
My Documents is not what you called miscellaneous place to store stuff. It is by design and many software vendors write their programs to that design.

Yes, as long as you direct the path to the other drive.  By default, Windows assumes C is the OS drive and sets up folders accordingly. Most programs by default will place all data files onto the C drive under My Documents.
When installing new programs you can set the data path to the other drive where you want to store you data files.

For storage purposes it is good to know were all the data files are stored so backup programs do not have to hunt for various locations to find these files. 

Message Edited by fudgieguys on 10-18-2006 02:53 PM

15 Posts

I didn't make my query clear. I wasn't asking about backups.

Windows seems to use the My Documents file as a sort of miscellaneous place to store stuff. I store .doc files produced in Word in D:\Words and made the change in Word's Tools/Options window. Can I do something similar with XP and My Documents? In other words, can I move My Documents to the D: drive and have Windows find it there?
No Events found!