Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 27th, 2009 17:00

Need Help

Upon start-up or reboot a folder named Common appears everytime. It is empty. How do I get rid of it? Someone please advise

on how to get rid of it.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 2350 Series, Microsoft XP. I had just enstalled a Microsoft WebCam and a HP DVD Burner and one of these

reconfigured my computer, at least I'm assuming thats what happened.

Thank you, mamafo

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

July 27th, 2009 19:00

Well, one of those programs (or maybe something else) probably installed a dodgy startup registry entry that's opening a folder instead of a program.

Easiest place to start:   Start - Run - type MSCONFIG.   Go to the Startup tab to get a list of what's starting up when your computer does, and check the Command Column.  Anything listed in there that wants to start from a Common folder?   If so, uncheck that entry, reboot, then see if the popup goes away.   If it does, that particular program is the culprit.

2 Posts

July 28th, 2009 09:00

Alexandra P...Thank you for your info...I tried the MSCONFIF thing and it didn't work...got frustrated and shut the computer off...but...by accident I found the solution.

When it showed up again on the desktop this morning when I turned the computer on...I left the Common folder on the desktop and started opening the folders on the left hand side of that folder.

Low and behold I finially clicked on PROGRAM FILES (under PLACES) and it was located in there. Now there was only one that was empty and named 'COMMON' ... the rest Common folders were titled 'Common Files'...

Do not delete 'COMMON FILES' as you need those, but delete or drag to the trash the empty folder titled 'COMMON' (Make sure it is empty!!!!)

Whew...it worked! Thank you ever so much for you thoughtful help.

mamafo

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

July 28th, 2009 11:00

Glad you got it sorted.  :emotion-1:

No Events found!