Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2012 08:00

Need Windows 7 Home Premium 64-BIT dutch reinstall discs for complete new install. Where can I find these?

I have recently had to install a completely new HD (SDD in this case) and now I am looking for the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit discs to reinstall my OS. I have tried the DVD (english) from the US site, but my product key does not work on that disc. Does anybody know where I can download the original DVD (dutch) that had to come with my system (but didn't). I have paid for a license.

Thanks in advance for you answer.

6 Posts

August 5th, 2012 12:00

Thanks natakuc4! I followed your instructions but every time I type the product code that is on the sticker on the bottom of my XPS (5 times 5 characters) I get invalid product code. It is totally driving me crazy. I know for 100% it is the correct code. Tried everything, but no luck.

When windows 7 was first installed SP1 was not out yet. Could this be the problem? In this case I need windows 7 without SP1. Would be crazy.

Otherwise I need to request for the original DVD via Dell-Support.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 7th, 2012 03:00

It is normal, the product key Dell usually use is a Dell SLP (Dell System Locked Preinstallation) key. See here.

This key is used on all Dells with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Usually these keys only activate when a Dell BIOs is detected and cannot manually be activated.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 5th, 2012 09:00

Try X17-59236.iso. This is the Dutch Windows 7 64 bit Professional with Service Pack 1 .iso.

Next use the Microsoft .iso to USB/DVD tool to create a bootable USB (requires a USB flash stick of at least 4 GB).

Once you have this. Go to the sources folder in the bootable USB.

Scroll through the folder until you find ei.cfg right click this file and select open with

Select Notepad, if notepads not there select browse and then Notepad

Once you have the file open in notepad

Change "professional" to "homepremium" (this example has Starter).

When you install you will get this (this example again has Starter):

Alternatively delete this ei.cfg file completely and you will have the choice for all 64 bit versions.

Then follow my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Dell should provide you one, if you request it. Try calling support tomorrow.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

They should take the same code whether or not they have the service pack included or not.

If the product key isn't working you may have no choice but to phone technical support and request a reinstallation DVD.

Also the key should work in all languages of the retail .isos.

Silly question but I will mention it anyway, the key is definitely for Home Premium and not Ultimate (as it is an XPS unit)?

6 Posts

I have tried several versions (UK, VS, NL, 32-bit, 64-bit) of Home Premium, since that is what I was using until last thursday. I even tried the original MS Technet DVD but no luck at all. I have given up now. I will contact dell-support or wait until windows 8 comes out and purchase a whole new set of DVDs. Which ever comes first. It sucks bigtime that Dell does not ship the original DVD with the XPS.

Anyway, I thank you very much for your help. To bad it did not work, but it gave me a lot of insight in the installation and I learned installing from USB. :)

6 Posts

August 5th, 2012 13:00

Will do that. Thanks!

6 Posts

August 7th, 2012 01:00

Because clearly the product key was wrong I wanted to make sure I really had the correct product key. So I reinstalled my old HDD and booted the OS. This was Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit NL. Then I used Advanced Tokens Manager to save my product key and activation tokens (this way I made sure I would use the correct key and my Windows 7 would be immediately activated after restoring the tokens). What STRUCK me was that the Product Key was NOT THE SAME as the product key on the sticker at the bottom of my XPS.

I have NEVER reinstalled Windows 7 or changed anything on the factory installed OS.

Long story short. I replaced the HDD for the SSD, installed Windows 7 Home Premium without entering product key. After installation I restored the product key and token saved by Advanced Tokens Manager and VOILA .... I have an XPS running on Windows 7 on SSD.

What shall I do about Dell clearly installing an OS without the proper Windows product key?

Regards,

Rob

6 Posts

August 7th, 2012 03:00

Ah OK. Thanks again Philip. All is clear now :)

No Events found!