Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2014 05:00

Need Windows 7 OS Disk for new hard drive

I'll keep it simple (hopefully).  The hard drive failed on my inspiron 570 and I want to install a new hard drive, but I don't have the windows 7 OS disk to install on the new the hard drive.  I have the product key, but don't have the disk or drivers disks (that usually come with my dell) to setup the new hard drive.  How much does dell charge for the OS disk and how do i get it?  Is there another option for re installing windows 7 (as this is what my wife is used to and prefers compared to windows 8).

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 1st, 2014 10:00

For Windows Vista and Windows 7 I have listed a means of downloading Windows installation files, making a bootable USB and using the BIOS SLP activation mechanism of the Reinstallation DVD to activate see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/

These solutions are unofficial but are widely used to the difficulty of procuring installation media.

Otherwise if you reside in the US or CA and in warranty you may fill in the media request form:

http://dell.com/recoverymedia

If out of warranty or if you reside in another region.  Dell have no fixed price and in some cases they will not provide media. There seems to be no consistency.

8 Posts

June 1st, 2014 10:00

Thank you for the link, and i'm sure it will be helpful to me, but consider me in need of windows install for dummies. By that I mean even after looking over the link you gave me I am still unsure of the step by steps to take in order to successfully install windows 7 on my new hard drive.

•  After I create the bootable windows 7 disk, do I then need an image burn disk to follow?
  • Do i need a tool to unzip the files that will be on the bootable windows 7 disk, and if so, how could I possibly download or put a zip file tool on a new hard drive that does not have an OS on it?

My apologies for sounding like a novice, but I pretty much am.  Would it be easier for me to just buy a windows 7 home software package from best buy or something?

No Events found!