Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2008 12:00

Need help down grading from vista home basic to xp pro.....

I just purchased a new Vostro 1500. I bought it off ebay it was in a factory sealed box, never used, It came with vista home basic installed. After 2 days I decided to swith over to XP Pro. I have a green Dell XP Pro reinstallation disk (P/N1R594) that I successfully used to down grade a new Vostro 1000 last week from vista basic to XP Pro with out a hitch. But when I tried to install using the same installation CD on the Vostro 15000 it starts to boot up just fine and starts loading files onto the Hard drive but after 3 or 4 minutes I get this blue stop error screen with the following message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to you computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with manufacturer for driver update. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates. Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, Press F8 to select advanced start up options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

***Stop: 0x00000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF,0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)

***        pci.sys  -  Address F748E0BF  base at  F7487000,  DateStamp  3b7d855c

I tried to install it several times and always got the same message.  I then remembered I had a Win2000 install disk from years ago. I put that in the cd tray rebooted and it allowed me to reformat the HD and installed with out a hitch. I then tried the Dell XP disk again and I got the exact same stop error message as above.

The thing that I can't understand is that I just used the install disk on my wifes brand new Vostro 1000 last week with no problem. Can anyone out there tell me how to fix this problem........

Thanks, Tim

295 Posts

March 19th, 2008 14:00

First off, what you are doing is illegal. You can only use the installation disk for the system it shipped with.

Secondly, the reason why it is not working is likely because this system has a SATA drive. You'll need to provide SATA drivers during setup.

No Events found!