Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2013 06:00

Need help reloading Dell apps after downgrading from Win 8 64-bit to Win 7 64-bit

Can someone help with my software issue? I installed windows 7 ultimate on my Dell Inspiron 15r 5521 and reinstalled all drivers and chipsets. However, when i try to download the third-party applications that were preinstalled with Windows 8 I downloaded the SmartSource media manager (http://smartsource.dell.com/client/SmartSource.MediaManager.application?t=92cc1d56-9ce0-47b1-8889-858fe498b68a&m=1) but  I receive an error message "Cannot download the application. The application is missing required fields. Contact application vendor for assistance." The details are:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
    Windows             : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
    Common Language Runtime     : 4.0.30319.296
    System.Deployment.dll         : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    clr.dll             : 4.0.30319.296 (RTMGDR.030319-2900)
    dfdll.dll             : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    dfshim.dll             : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES
    Deployment url            : file:///C:/Users/GKD/Downloads/SmartSource.MediaManager(1).application

IDENTITIES
    Deployment Identity        : SmartSource.MediaManager.application, Version=1.1.0.183, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cf7dc25ebbb91b35, processorArchitecture=msil

APPLICATION SUMMARY
    * Online only application.
    * Trust url parameter is set.
ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of C:\Users\GKD\Downloads\SmartSource.MediaManager(1).application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
        + Downloading file:///C:/Users/GKD/Downloads/Application Files/SmartSource.MediaManager_1_1_0_183/SmartSource.MediaManager.exe.manifest did not succeed.
        + Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\GKD\Downloads\Application Files\SmartSource.MediaManager_1_1_0_183\SmartSource.MediaManager.exe.manifest'.
        + Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\GKD\Downloads\Application Files\SmartSource.MediaManager_1_1_0_183\SmartSource.MediaManager.exe.manifest'.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
    No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
    There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
    * [7/8/2013 6:59:54 AM] : Activation of C:\Users\GKD\Downloads\SmartSource.MediaManager(1).application has started.
    * [7/8/2013 6:59:54 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
    * [7/8/2013 6:59:54 AM] : Installation of the application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
    Following errors were detected during this operation.
    * [7/8/2013 6:59:54 AM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
        - Downloading file:///C:/Users/GKD/Downloads/Application Files/SmartSource.MediaManager_1_1_0_183/SmartSource.MediaManager.exe.manifest did not succeed.
        - Source: System.Deployment
        - Stack trace:
            at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
            at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
            at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
            at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
            at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadApplicationManifest(AssemblyManifest deploymentManifest, String targetDir, Uri deploymentUri, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, Uri& appSourceUri, String& appManifestPath)
            at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadApplicationManifest(AssemblyManifest deploymentManifest, String targetDir, Uri deploymentUri, Uri& appSourceUri, String& appManifestPath)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
        --- Inner Exception ---
        System.Net.WebException
        - Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\GKD\Downloads\Application Files\SmartSource.MediaManager_1_1_0_183\SmartSource.MediaManager.exe.manifest'.
        - Source: System
        - Stack trace:
            at System.Net.FileWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
            at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponse()
            at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
        --- Inner Exception ---
        System.Net.WebException
        - Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\GKD\Downloads\Application Files\SmartSource.MediaManager_1_1_0_183\SmartSource.MediaManager.exe.manifest'.
        - Source: System
        - Stack trace:
            at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)
            at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseCallback(Object state)
        --- Inner Exception ---
        System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
        - Source: mscorlib
        - Stack trace:
            at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
            at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)
            at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
            at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync)
            at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async)
            at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
    No transaction information is available.

750 Posts

July 8th, 2013 09:00

Hi gkd-mke,

I see that you are trying to install the download manager for My Dell Downloads using an old URL which should be ideally valid for a single session. Visit the following website using Internet Explorer: http://dell.to/YeNfEq

Follow the on-screen instructions to register the system and download the required software. Ensure that the pop-up blocker is disabled, and run the prompted add-on's.

Additionally, since your computer came with Windows 8, try using Dell Digital Delivery to reinstall the factory installed software.

Please refer the following link to download and install Dell Digital Delivery compatible with Windows 7: http://dell.to/1aSEq7x

Do let me know the results.

3 Posts

July 8th, 2013 11:00

When I follow Kalyan's instructions, the installation terminates because the media package is meant for Windows 8, but I am running Windows 7

750 Posts

July 9th, 2013 06:00

Hi gkd-mke,

May I know which installation is it that gave you the message that you have mentioned?

Also, did you try to register the system at My Dell Downloads website using Internet Explorer?

3 Posts

July 9th, 2013 08:00

I tried to download these: www.facebook.com/.../set

750 Posts

July 10th, 2013 08:00

Hi gkd-mke,

Just to confirm - is that a screenshot of My Dell Downloads screen that you were able to access on your computer?

If that is the case, the software listed is specific to Windows 8 and unfortunately cannot be installed on Windows 7.

No Events found!