Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2006 19:00

Need help restoring Dell 8400 hard disk

Hello,

I have done something dumb and reformatted my main partition and reinstalled Windows XP from the Dell System OS CD (that I paid $10 extra for when I ordered the computer) on my Dell 8400. What I did not know was that this destroyed my ability to do what I was supposed to do, hit CTRL-F11 at startup.

After reinstalling, I found no drivers were installed, and my monitor was flickering at 60hz and I couldn't change that. I called Dell in India and asked for the Dell Drivers CD to be shipped to me. They shipped it to me and I have installed it and nothing has changed. The monitor is still flickering at 60hz and is unchangealbe.

I tried to install internet connectivity and when I called Comcast they had me go into some device driver screen where there were a bunch of question marks so no internet.

Dell says the 4yr warranty I purchased is only on hardware not software so they will not repair my computer.

I do not have a floppy disk drive so using the dsr_fix application is not an option.

I need to restore the hard drive. Is there a CD Dell can sell me that I can use to restore it or am I stuck? Is there any way other than booting into DOS with a floppy to restore the CTRL-F11 function at startup?

Is my only restore option to buy an OEM copy of Windows XP and reinstall from there?

Any answer is welcome.

You are my only hope!

Thanks,

Dave

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 25th, 2006 20:00

You have everything you need to get back to normal. A retail copy of XP is the same as the reinstall disk you paid $10 for. What you need to do after reinstalling XP is to install the chipset drivers first, then the rest of the drivers both of which are available at the Dell Download site. Here's a good guide: http://www.djdenham.com/Install%20Procedures.htm#Install

1.3K Posts

February 25th, 2006 21:00

Here is info to "check and restore the Dell PC Restore".

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

570 Posts

February 25th, 2006 22:00

With your current setup:

Go to the Drivers & Download page for your System and download all the drivers.
Copy all your downloads to a CD.
Use the CD to install the drivers according to Dell's instructions. As Mary G said, install the chipset first, then video, etc.
Go to Device Manager and remove all unknown devices. Reboot when done. Windows will find the new hardware and install its driver.

Or,

Fix the Ctrl+F11 and DSR process as recommended by Dave5. This is a good idea if you want to recover the bundled application software you paid with your system. I wish you good luck!

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

February 25th, 2006 22:00

davexps350,

You do not need a floppy drive to restore the PC Restore function. Dan Goodell lists several alternative for booting to DOS in this document.

85 Posts

February 26th, 2006 01:00

By the way Dell Techs should be able to help you install all the drivers, restart the windows installation again, do it and while you are waiting for the last 5 minutes call dell and tell them, hey guys I just finished windows installation, can you help me install the drivers, you just need the Dell Drivers and Utilities CD, the 60 Mhz rate wont work, until you GET the drivers for the video card working, so dont forget about it, heard me, call dell almost at the end of the installation, they will assist you if you just request help installing all the drivers. This is no software issue, this is hardware issue, explain that to them and they SHOULD help you, if not request a supervisor and request the help from them.

Thats all I need to say. For the Rate for the monitor go to safe mode after the video driver has been installed, you will get that fixed there.

Oh about the Ctrl+F11, there is no way of fixing it... I know for sure there IS NO WAY for fixing that, so better get rid of the partition and request the Drivers and Utilities CD, is the best way you have left.

Message Edited by johndoe777 on 02-25-2006 09:38 PM

40 Posts

February 26th, 2006 03:00

Thanks all of you for your replies, I realize this has been discussed before, I did a lot of searching on the forums before posting. I will check out the utilities CD again and see if I can install them. I thought that they would all install with one click, but NO, I guess Dell has to make it hard.

Gee, thanks Dell. ;-)

If anyone has anymore ideas I'm interested.

Dave

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 26th, 2006 05:00

Dell's drivers&download utility on the web was inaccessible for a few days but it's back up now.

Being a pack rat, I bookmarked the drivers&download page for the 8400. So you go directly to the page with all the drivers and downloads including Dell's Desktop System Software that you need for the 8400 here. Don't forget that you need to install the chipset driver first thing, after reinstalling XP.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8400&os=WW1&osl=EN

Ron

1.3K Posts

February 26th, 2006 18:00

davexps350,

If you go to the link below and download and run Belarc, it will show ALL hardware and software on your computer.

Then you know what Drivers you need for reinstall purpose.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

40 Posts

February 26th, 2006 18:00

This is excellent, thank you. I think the CD we got in the mail has the same content, but it is nice to see it online here too. Too bad they don't have a way to type in the service tag number and get the exact configuration of the computer as-shipped. That way I'd know which drivers I need to install. Is there a way to get this info?

Cheers,

Dave

161 Posts

February 26th, 2006 23:00

@davexps350 wrote:
This is excellent, thank you. I think the CD we got in the mail has the same content, but it is nice to see it online here too. Too bad they don't have a way to type in the service tag number and get the exact configuration of the computer as-shipped. That way I'd know which drivers I need to install. Is there a way to get this info?

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

Type your service tag into this link

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~tab=2

40 Posts

February 27th, 2006 00:00

will try that too, thanks!

85 Posts

March 18th, 2006 18:00

There is a way to know, when you are in the dell drivers and utilities CD, the Resource CD, you put as the topic Drivers and the first one checked under each category, thats the one you need to install to thesystem, if its not checked then its not the right one, thats all I know about the drivers... try it that way.
No Events found!