Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2007 23:00

Need help to uninstall iTunes

I just got my Nano and attempted to install all software. I have a message when iTunes opens, "The software required for communicating with the iPod is not installed correctly. Please uninstall, iTunes to install the iPod's software.

When I try to uninstall any or all components (iTunes, QuickTime, Apple updater) I get this message, "Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with the install." This is version 7.3.2, and I think that the mistake that I made was plugging the iPod into the computer before installing all the software.

I tried restarting many times, tried removing programs, and now even tried to install the Microsoft Clean Up utility. That won't download because evidently there is still an iTunes installation trying to run, although I don't see it running.
I've tried system restore also to "go-back" before the install and even that won't work. When I hit "control-Alt-Delete", it doesn't show any installation process running.

HELP! I'm dead in the water!

16 Posts

August 30th, 2007 00:00

Hi
Have you tried booting with XP installation disk and using recovery console (press 'R') or 'last known good configuration'?

2.9K Posts

August 30th, 2007 06:00

Sgc1346,

When in doubt, go to the source; i.e., Apple.  See this for correct procedure:  http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93698

Tony

2 Posts

August 30th, 2007 10:00

Believe me, I tried this. The problem seems to be that there is still a program trying to install, I just can't seem to find it.

69 Posts

August 30th, 2007 22:00

Restart the computer into Safe Mode with the Apple iPod Nano unplugged. Use the Control Panel to uninstall all the software, restart your computer, re-install the software, (and restart, if needed), and THEN plug in the Apple iPod Nano.

If this doesn't work, open Task Manager, go to the "Processes" tab, and list all running executables that are shown in the window.

Message Edited by SugarD-x on 08-30-2007 04:52 PM
No Events found!