Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

November 16th, 2012 01:00

Need to RE-INSTALL Windows 8 - but Media and Product Key is not provided by DELL!!!

How could I possibly re-install Windows 8 on my brand new DELL Inspiron 660 desktop PC which came with a pre-installed Windows 8?

The DELL "System Recovery Media" seems to be nothing more but a disk-image (plus a restore tool) of my hard disk which could be copied back (automatically) to (a similar sized!) disk in case of a disaster. But it will NOT allow for the re-installation of Windows 8!

This will NOT allow  for the installation of Windows 8 on e.g. a smaller disk (like my 128GB SSD)!
This will NOT allow  for a fresh, clean installation according to my needs and without the bloatware which comes pre-installed!

I think this is really annoying and completely inacceptable.

Or do I miss some trivial trick here?
Any hint is most welcome!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 16th, 2012 02:00

Its something I have been trying to look up on.

Dell/Microsoft have went through this annoying OEM Media reduction and Dell suggest you use Dell DataSafe which you I have seen over the past couple of years for Vista/7 is completely useless and you have just demonstrated its limitations in Windows 8.

For Windows 7 you could request a Dell Reinstallation DVD by phoning technical support, I assume the case should be the same with Windows 8 but I'm not certain. I see you are from Germany. The German Technical Support Number is +49 (0) 69 9792 7200.

Please let me know the results of this and if you are charged for the media.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

November 16th, 2012 04:00

Hi hardysofty,

You can contact our Technical Support Team and request for the Windows 8 installation disk to perform a clean reinstallation. The Product Key is embedded into the BIOS. The Windows installation will check the BIOS for the Product Key during installation.

Please reply to this message if you need further information.

1 Message

November 16th, 2012 12:00

I called about same issue but for windows 7 as my Inspiron keeps crashing but they said it would cost $60 to get the O/S I purchased on hard media ?$#  Doesn't seem right.

Roland

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 16th, 2012 16:00

it would cost $60 to get the O/S I purchased on hard media ?$#  Doesn't seem right.

Definitely doesn't. :(

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 16th, 2012 18:00

Especially when you can download Windows 8 Professional and get a license and a .iso file for $39.99 or buy the license and DVD for $69.99. Would of been cheaper purchasing a Dell with Windows 7 and Upgrading

2.3K Posts

November 16th, 2012 21:00

You can contact our Technical Support Team and request for the Windows 8 installation disk to perform a clean reinstallation. The Product Key is embedded into the BIOS. The Windows installation will check the BIOS for the Product Key during installation.

Please reply to this message if you need further information.

My question to you:

What happens when you flash the bios and it crashes and your MB is dead. If the product key is embedded on the bios, it is now gone. What is Dell going to do to take care of this problem? And what about after the warranty is out?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 19th, 2012 15:00

I made a poll and an IdeaStorm post with regards to the reinstallation dvd case, please vote so people can get it easier

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19476992.aspx

2 Posts

November 25th, 2012 20:00

Hi DELL-RAJATH N, I have by mistake removed Windows 8 that came preinstalled with my Dell laptop.How do I reinstall it?

I called Dell and they said that I will have to buy a Windows 8 software without the license as the license is embedded into my system.Is that correct?

If yes please do tell me from to get this I mean just software because I searched over net and there weren't any useful results.

4 Posts

December 1st, 2012 15:00

Go To The Right Side of Your Screen

hit Search

Type in "Use Similar settings for all Pc's you Use"

Click it

Pc Settings Window Will Show up

Then Click General Scroll To Bottom of page

Now You have 3 types of Installs you can do

1) refresh Install (will redo windows but leave all documents and Photos And other personal files)

2) Remove Everything Install. (Exactly what it says Restore the computer from day one.. (make sure you have the correct drivers downloaded and burned to a cd for this)

3) Advanced Setup (restore from imx file or usb device ext)

From the Sounds of it you want option 2 Enjoy hope its helps..

4 Posts

December 1st, 2012 16:00

your key should be on the bottom of the laptop or on either the (top, Back, side of case, If Not its on the inside Panel.) if this Still not located.. Use Belarc Advisor To Get your Key. it will Give you a complete list of whats on your computer (drivers needed Software and Keys.  Hope it helps

4 Posts

December 1st, 2012 16:00

Until Feb 1st windows 8 pro retail is $69.99

11 Posts

January 9th, 2013 12:00

Confused now. I asked a similar question below and the answer I got was that the factory image could be used to reinstall Win 8 onto a new (smaller) hard disk.  The Win 8 key would be picked up from the motherboard.   I want to replace the Dell 2TB with a fast little 500GB for Win 8 OS only.

Thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/p/19485072/20271090.aspx#20271090

Response by:

http://en.community.dell.com/members/DELL_2D00_Sandeep-P/default.aspx

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 10th, 2013 00:00

For instructions in creating and using the Dell Recovery Media:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIglSB9ZB_U&list=PLaMGK8uBGSYvKc60rA99X-Z90N5cWF72M&index=13 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v5ewszMtGQ&list=PLaMGK8uBGSYvKc60rA99X-Z90N5cWF72M&index=21 

With older versions the DataSafe Recovery Media couldn't be used on hard drives of a smaller size than the original. It might have changed for Windows 8 with Dell Backup and Recovery. Also note in the first video there is no mention of going from a bigger drive to a smaller drive. It has a diagram only from a smaller one to a larger one or to one of the same size.

You are in the US so fill out this form to request the Windows 8 Reinstallation DVD:

Online Request Form for Reinstallation Media (US Customers only) 

If you get an email or phone call stating that you don't need it, insist that you want to perform clean installation on a new hard drive and that the DataSafe Media isn't suitable for your purposes. This will give you a second option just in case.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 21:00

None of the major OEM's include an installation disc anymore unless you specifically include it in your order (store-purchased systems do not include the option).  You can request the media by calling Support or by filling out this form (US only):

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

1 Message

August 10th, 2014 20:00

Hello Rajath, I am having difficulty finding the install media for Windows 8. My service tag is [removed per privacy policy]. I would like to do a clean install on a replacement hard drive. Can you help me?

No Events found!