Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

September 18th, 2009 07:00

Need to get Windows OS CDs for clean install

I need to do a clean install of a new hard drive on my Inspiron E1505. Since I got cardboard instead of CDs when the laptop shipped and the warranty has expired, how do I get these either from Dell or Microsoft? I'm really losing A LOT of respect for Dell over this. Apparently, I can't even send a support email any more. I shouldn't have to re-purchase what I already own the rights to and cloning the hard drive doesn't work because it is a MediaDirect edition which truncates HDs if you clone them. Any help is appreciated.

6.4K Posts

September 18th, 2009 08:00

If you live outside the U.S. you will need to contact Tech Support for your region.  Explain that you never received the reinstallation CDs due to Dell's Media Reduction Campaign, and that you need to install on a new hard drive that does not contain the restore partition.

If you live in the U.S. you can try using this form:  Dell Replacement CDs.  Most folks I have corresponded with have had good fortune getting the material using this approach.

10 Posts

September 18th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for the suggestion and the link. I have no idea how I would have found it by following links from the support website page! I have requested the CDs and am awaiting a reply from Dell. Hopefully this will solve my dilemma.

6.4K Posts

September 19th, 2009 11:00

I'm happy to be of help.  Good luck.

1 Message

January 1st, 2010 16:00

Thanks Jack,  I have a DELL Insp 2400.  Need to do a DOD, or other secure wipe, and then reinstall OS, before I give the machine to AMVETS.  I filled out the  Dell Replacement CDs  form.  We'll see how it goes from here on.

No Events found!