Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

May 4th, 2009 13:00

Need to reload XP but no media

Hi,

I need to reinstall XP on my XPS400 but I can't find the media for XP and am starting to think there was no media included when I purchased the machine. Any idea how to proceed? It's running XP Home Media Edition.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 4th, 2009 15:00

HERE is the link to order replacement discs from Dell.

Also on many Dell's there is a Recovery Partition on the hard drive, accessed by CTRL/F11 at initial boot up and if yours has this you can reinstall back to the original factory setup, and without the need for any CD's.

2.2K Posts

May 4th, 2009 16:00

The Dell PC Restore utility and image are isolated from the current installation, and when utilized the factory image completely replaces the current installation, leaving little opportunity for any malware to remain.

GM

14 Posts

May 4th, 2009 16:00

Thanks for the reply and the link. Very helpful.

I'm not sure the recovery exercise would do the trip as I think I've got a virus tampering with my AV software and probably need a clean install.

14 Posts

May 4th, 2009 18:00

From what you've said, I'd assume any viruses on the machine would be wiped as well. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help.

2.2K Posts

May 4th, 2009 20:00

Yes, everything on the Windows drive will be wiped out.

GM

14 Posts

May 4th, 2009 20:00

Okay. Thanks again for the help.

14 Posts

May 4th, 2009 22:00

Stupidity never fails me. The Recovery Partition would not run and I sort of remember a while back when I was having problems getting Sophos AV to run, I deleted everything Symantic on the machine. I have a hazy memory, now that it doesn't work, deleting the recovery program, as well.I guess I didn't know what it was.

Is it possible to replace it and, if so, where on the hard drive would I load it? Where do I find a copy of it? Or does this mean I've deleted the entire partition?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 5th, 2009 04:00

If the Dell Recovery Partition is corrupted, there is NO way for users to recreate it.  Your only option is a clean install - reformat and reinstall.

14 Posts

May 5th, 2009 09:00

Just to be clear, by deleting the Recovery program, I have or may have corrupted the partition. Is that correct? It sounds like the recovery program is integrated into the partition.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 5th, 2009 11:00

If you "deleted" the Dell Recovery Program (or any part of it) then it's not there any more and as noted once it's gone there is no way for users to recreate it.

Anyway you want to refer to it, "if it's gone, it's gone". 

14 Posts

May 5th, 2009 13:00

Thanks, fireberd. When I started this, my assumption was that I'd have to reinstall from a CD. The Recovery Partition was a nice side trip but I'm back where I started, except that now I have a CD on the way from Dell.

Thanks again for your help.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 5th, 2009 13:00

It would have been great if the recovery partition was still there.  But, you are OK now with the CD.

Just keep in mind when you install (1) Install Windows (2) Install Chipset Drivers (3) Install Device Drivers such as Sound, Video, etc.  We see a lot of install problems because that sequence is not followed and/or the chipset drivers are not installed.

14 Posts

May 5th, 2009 18:00

Good tip. I'll have to brush up on installing drivers. It's been a while since I've had to deal with that. The Dell support person answering my request for XP media sent a list of drivers in the proper order. I'm assuming all the drivers are on the Dell Drivers and Utilities CD that came with the machine.

No Events found!