Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2009 15:00

Need to update video driver, but Dell doesn't have the most current version

I bought a new game which does not work on my Vostro 1400 with Vista HomeBasic 32 bit. After contacting the game company, EA, for support the recommendation was made to update my video card driver from the 2007 version to the 2009 version. I need the update for Intel 965 Express Chipset Family. I downloaded the one available through Intel, but because it did not come from Dell, it won't install. Dell does not have the most recent driver available through their support site.

Does anybody know of a work-around to this situation. I would like to play the game at some point.

14.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 16:00

IS this the intel driver you tried to install?

February 3rd, 2009 18:00

yes, it is the same one. I tried your link anyway...still didn't work.

Thanks for the help.

14.4K Posts

February 4th, 2009 07:00

What kind of error message are you getting?  This should install unless it is older than the current. you are positive you are using an Intel graphic and not the ATI that is also listed on the Drivers and download page.

February 4th, 2009 16:00

The exact message says:

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer.

Setup will exit.

The file is WinVista_15121 and is digitally signed by Intel. I even unblocked the installer under properties, and it still doesn't work.

14.4K Posts

February 4th, 2009 16:00

Almost makes me think that you have the Nvidia card. Have you tried the Nvidia driver.

When you look in device manager under display adapters what is listed?

February 4th, 2009 19:00

The device manager says I have a "Mobile Intel 965 Express chipset family".

14.4K Posts

February 5th, 2009 04:00

That is most puzzling, especially since I updated my laptop with the latests drivers using the intel ones with no issues. Still doing some research on this.

No Events found!