Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

August 13th, 2014 10:00

Need urgent Vista help

My Dell M1530 has not been able to install updates for some time. Reseaching I found corrupt files in Vista SP2 related to .Net Framework so I ran the Dell Recovery to repair. After reinstalling the OS, the machine did install all updates except 1. 

However, this is my bigger problem now. I have the Vista Home Version with Office. Every time I start one of the Ofice programs including Outlook, MS wants the product key. I enter the product key I found on the bottom of the machine and MS rejects it. I only have a few attempts left before I'm locked out. I'm on the road and cannot check the CD or packaging for the Key. 

Should I try to contact MS or Dell. Both options scare the hell out of me. Any help appreciated. 

The License key on the base of your laptop is for the Windows Vista Operating System only. Your Office key should have been shipped with an Office License key on the Office CD/DVD which you probably have at home. I don't think there's any work around this problem while you on the road. If you can't find the key when you return home then I would call Dell support 1st. Paul

36 Posts

I ran Belarc and found the 25 character key(s) like you said. Tried entering them for products below but MS still says the key is incorrect. Any other thoughts? 

Microsoft - Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007 SP2
Microsoft - Business Solutions eCRM
Microsoft - Internet Explorer

297 Posts

The key on your computer is not for Office, it is for Microsoft Windows only. To get the key, there should be one in the packaging or documentation somewhere. The other thing you can try is running Belarc. In the results about half way down shows the licenses of the software on your computer.

36 Posts

Thanks, I'll try Dell.

36 Posts

August 13th, 2014 12:00

No luck with Dell. Have to try MS. 

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 13th, 2014 15:00

The COA is for Windows Vista, more details about the COA are provided here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/request-a-reinstallation-dvd-from-dell/

Although Office 2007 may have came preinstalled by Dell it is unactivated at factory settings and a trial version. If you bought a license with your system it would have came with a MPI card and you would have input the 25 digit key when you got the system see here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-office/microsoft-product-identity-mpi-card/

As you have reverted to factory settings you have lost your product key and a key finder program such as Belarc Advisor will be useless as it won't find it as its not in the registry anymore. Its a shame you never wrote on the forum before restoring to factory settings.

I seriously doubt you will get any useful support from Microsoft and you are pretty much caught in the Microsoft-Dell OEM customer triangle, one of the reasons I never customise a Dell with Microsoft Office and always get it seperately. Microsoft will likely try and sell you Office 2013 but this needs Windows 7 or 8.1 to run... They may also send you back to Dell because its an OEM license. Dell do not keep a record of the product key and are unlikely to have any Office 2007 replacement keys.

36 Posts

August 14th, 2014 09:00

I have someone trying to find the Vista/Office disk back home. Are you saying that if they find the original product key, it won't work?

If so, please let me know. 

36 Posts

August 14th, 2014 09:00

"As you have reverted to factory settings you have lost your product key and a key finder program such as Belarc Advisor will be useless as it won't find it as its not in the registry anymore. Its a shame you never wrote on the forum before restoring to factory settings."

Actually, I did a couple of days ago when I reported corrupt Vista files preventing WinVista updates. You suggested a clean reinstall of the OS. I tried that but chose the option to save data files. After the reinstall, some 250+ updates finally got installed with 2 exceptions. For the most part, the machine is now working okay except that I may lose Office.   

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 15th, 2014 04:00

I would have suggested manual clean installation and referred you to my Reinstallation Guide. The guide has a section called gathering system information which would have instructed you in obtaining your product keys with Belarc Advisor before Windows Reinstallation:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/

Your product key will still work but your only chance is to find the MPI card or purchase Office again. You can't purchase Office 2013 as its incompatible with Vista.

Loss of the MPI card has led to many unhappy customers who have paid full price and lost Office 2007/2010 and given the solution to buy Office again. Its the same with Windows COAs. We have been asking for a better service since Office 2007/Windows Vista came out. With Windows it doesn't matter because there is a SLP activation mechanism which doesn't require a 25 digit product key.

Microsoft stepped up the game in Windows 8/Office 2013 by embedding Windows 8 OEM product keys in the BIOS and linking Office 2013 with a Microsoft Account. Media for Office 2013 can be downloaded from the Microsoft Account and the Product Key will be stored with the Microsoft Account. Microsoft however provide an awful service regarding Windows 8 installation media.

36 Posts

August 15th, 2014 19:00

You would think that MS with all of their geniuses would have figured that out long ago. Now I may have no choice but to buy Win 7 and Office all because MS Vista files find ways to get corrupted. And to make matters worse, all of their repair tools were useless.

What a great way to drive customers over to Apple.   

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 16th, 2014 01:00

You would think that MS with all of their geniuses would have figured that out long ago. Now I may have no choice but to buy Win 7 and Office all because MS Vista files find ways to get corrupted. And to make matters worse, all of their repair tools were useless.

What a great way to drive customers over to Apple.   

One thing you can do temporally is to use Office 2013 Web Apps in OneDrive. This version is free:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/

It does not include all features however.

No Events found!