Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2006 16:00

New Dell Computer-New Pop-Ups-How to get rid of them....

After purchasing my 3rd new Dell Computer (Dimension E521) I was browsing the internet and started encountering LARGE ads that took over the whole screen.  I couldn't figure out why this was happening since the XP blocking was ON.  After the 4th time this happened, I hit control, alt, delete and saw there was something called NSIS Google advertisement running. 

I went to my control panel to remove programs (I had already removed all of the Google and Eula things, and there it was NSIS Google.

You can remove it simply by click remove.

Dell, you ought to be a bit less greedy and not embed this kind of advertising in your new computers.

Shame on you.

Tomm888

December 17th, 2006 17:00

first off if its a new pc first thing u shoulda done b4 removin any programs was activate the antivirus that it came with trial version or w/e im sure it came with one if not or dont wanna use it go to micriosoft.com and go to downloads and get windows defender im sure u wouldnt be gettin any spyware also make sure ur up to date on windows updates and check to make sure ur "Automatic updates" is on and not disabled if u would of done those things u wou ldnt of had any type of pop ups. I reccomend Xp firewall usually its enabled by default but u might wanna check that in control panel under "Windows Firewall"

Message Edited by brian_pwnz_you on 12-17-200601:24 PM

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Did you allow cookies from some site? You might need a better firewall too, like (free) ZoneAlarm. Or at the least, go here and test the firewall you're using:
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Ron

2 Posts

Thank you for your comments for far.

FYI:  When I removed the Google stuff, it was named Google.  I didn't look down the list of pre-installed programs and see if Google was listed in the second part of their name as in NSIS Google.

Second, I just opened the box of my new E531 yesterday (12/16/06).  Got it all together.  Installed my Norton Antivirus and Lavasoft Adaware first off.

These POP-UPS happend just as I was testing my connection and registering my new Dell.

Granted, it might have been wise to run Norton or Adaware, but since my computer had only been online to register, I didn't think it was necessary.

NO. I didn't download or install any other programs online.

YES.  Dell did install these adware items into my new computer.

This posting is to help others to watch out for it and know how it get rid of it.

Tomm888

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

Hi:

I think it highly unlikely that NSIS Google advertisements came pre-installed by Dell. It has not been reported here before. (And if, as you say, you had already uninstalled "all the Google things" wouldn't you have seen NSIS Google?) Perhaps it came bundled with something you downloaded.

In any event, it is adware, and possibly came with other spyware still on your PC. Are you using any antispyware programs? I would run scans by Windows Defender and Adaware SE, if you have them. If you don't have them, get them- they are free.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 17th, 2006 19:00

Tomm888:

Thanks for the further info.

I don't question your observations, but am still skeptical of your conclusion that NSIS came pre-installed, since you are the first to report this. The forums would be littered with complaints about this if it were true, and we are just not seeing it. However Dell has a history of pre-installing other Google-related junkware, so I don't discount the possibility.

You also stated it happened while you were "browsing the internet", and this suggests the possibility of a drive-by download, however briefly you were connected. Particularly if this new system did not yet have a resident antispyware program such as Windows Defender installed.

I can tell you that if what you described happened to me, from what I know of NSIS I would be concerned about the possibility of associated spyware on my PC, and would post a HighjackThis logfile in the HJT forum.  Full instructions on how to do this are here.

2.5K Posts

December 17th, 2006 19:00

December 17th, 2006 21:00

well tom i dont think u know what ur talkin about u had to of gotten it from somewhere else becuz of the fact my bro just got his pc from dell 2 days ago i helped him set it up i did see GOOGLE tool bar etc and alot of stuff starting up in "msconfig" all u have to do is uncheck them if u dont wanna uninstall them now ur pop ups thats totally diff now if u screen shotted ur pop ups t hat would help

Message Edited by brian_pwnz_you on 12-17-200605:59 PM

613 Posts

December 17th, 2006 22:00

well tom i dont think u know what ur talkin about u had to of gotten it from somewhere else becuz of the fact my bro just got his pc from dell 2 days ago i helped him set it up i did see GOOGLE tool bar etc and alot of stuff starting up in "msconfig" all u have to do is uncheck them if u dont wanna uninstall them now ur pop ups thats totally diff now if u screen shotted ur pop ups t hat would help

Message Edited by brian_pwnz_you on 12-17-200605:59 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And in English that means......?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 17th, 2006 23:00

A word to the wise- from the late Denny Denham:

"The majority of Delltalk veterans are helpful, friendly individuals.  They are also literate.  It will be in your best interest to phrase your post in proper English and punctuation should not be considered optional.  Considerable leeway is given to posters for whom English is not their primary language, but posts that begin with something like "Can u tell me y..." may be ignored or answered in a less than cordial fashion."

better yet u shouldnt of replied to begin with if thats all ur gonna say study b4 u post on a forum

arnie ur a complete noob if u cant understand what im sayin

613 Posts

December 18th, 2006 01:00

A word to the wise- from the late Denny Denham:

"The majority of Delltalk veterans are helpful, friendly individuals. They are also literate. It will be in your best interest to phrase your post in proper English and punctuation should not be considered optional. Considerable leeway is given to posters for whom English is not their primary language, but posts that begin with something like "Can u tell me y..." may be ignored or answered in a less than cordial fashion."

... from: http://www.djdenham.com/question.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you. The LATE Denny Denham? Please don't tell me that wonderful gentleman and scholar has passed away. If so, the world and this forum has lost a real treasure.
Arnie

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 18th, 2006 01:00

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 18th, 2006 16:00

I got lost in all the u's and ur's, so in case somebody hasn't mentioned it, you can use the Dell De-Crapifier to remove the bloatware that Dell installs on new PCs.
http://www.yorkspace.com/2006/04/38

And bear in mind, that Dell can keep their PC prices down because the software vendors pay Dell to install all that extra 'stuff'.

Ron

311 Posts

December 19th, 2006 01:00

I have to agree with the late, great Denny D. who dedicated so much of his time to helping other people.

Posting simply to call someone a "N00b" doesn't help accomplish this goal, which is the sole purpose of this forum.  Keep it constructive or take it offline via PM or something.

Message Edited by DELL-Aaron on 12-18-200609:57 PM

No Events found!