Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 1st, 2006 11:00

New PC - Cineplayer (Roxio Sonic Cineplayer) does not play DVD movies

Brand new Dell E521, right out of the box. My dvd player will copy data from a data cd to the hard drive, but it won't play movies?!! No dvd burner/cd burner. Just a DVD-rom drive.

When I put in any (tried a few) DVD's to watch movies... All I get is the Sonic Cineplayer blue screen. The screen even tells me the name of the movie ";D:\[THE_SANTA_CLAUSE]" but when i hit play, the screen goes black for a second, then comes back to the blue cineplayer screen (with the title of the movie now blinking?)

Why does this not play? Do I need a new copy of the cineplayer software???

Please help?!! Thank you

21 Posts

December 1st, 2006 14:00

I, too, am having this issue, but on an installation that has been working since I got the laptop in march of this year.

It seems that I cannot play dvds in Cineplayer, Windows Media Center or in Media Player...media center says that another application may be using the dvd (i'm pretty sure not) and media player gives me a message saying that a problem occured with digital copyright protection.

However all this was working just two days ago and nothing new has occured on my laptop since.

When I tried to "repair" the Cineplayer software through the add/remove programs control panel...well that didnt' do much good and I don't recommend it as now cineplayer displays the splash screen and nothing after that.

PS: I have also tried different DVDs in the drive because I know that's what they ask next...I put in one that was watching when it worked as well as others and also ensured that all dvd's play in another player.

And you know the harshest part?  I figured I'd blast the system back using the system restore...and I found it turned off!  I have no idea why!  So I can't even go back in time and see if it was something configured or changed in the system for sure.

Its all a conspiracy I bet!
LOL!

Help me Obi-Wan-Kenobi....you're my only hope!

Signed

Watching a blank screen in Redlands.

27 Posts

December 1st, 2006 16:00

I went to the tech support chat link... described my problem... and they are sending me the cd's for cineplayer...    I hope that works!

15 Posts

December 1st, 2006 17:00

I spent an hour on chat this morning with tech support. His diagnosis was that something had corrupted the codexes, he suspected the net.framework 2 that I installed yesterday as he said that cineplayer has been getting corrupted by certain microsoft programs.

He installed PowerDVD remotely and it restored DVD functions. He is sending me the cd for PowerDVD and including all the other resource disks for my computer.

I showed the same symptoms as above. With Cineplayer I would go to the black screen and then return to the blue "Play,Resume,Eject" screen. With the MCE player I would get an error message.

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2006 00:00

Have you tried changing your clock back a month?

Message Edited by paydael on 12-01-200608:28 PM

Message Edited by paydael on 12-01-200608:28 PM

21 Posts

December 2nd, 2006 03:00

Hey, that does work...I set the date back one month and I can play the dvd's in Microsoft Media Center...the Cineplayer s/w is all since I tried to "repair" it.

Now I guess there must be patch somewhere out there for this issue right?

As for tonight, I can set the date back and enjoy 4 hours of the 2006 Tour De France.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2006 19:00

As for tonight, I can set the date back and enjoy 4 hours of the 2006 Tour De France.

Be sure and watch that from your trainer so you don't turn into a couch potato over the winter. :smileyvery-happy:

About the patch, there is another thread on here that says there will be a patch available by Dec. 6.

Cineplayer Patch Thread

21 Posts

December 3rd, 2006 21:00

LOL
Thanks.
I'll look for the info on/after the 6th.

And...of course I'll be on the trainer!

311 Posts

December 4th, 2006 13:00

As soon as we have the fix live for download I'll post a link. Thanks to everyone for their patience while we work this out.

Message Edited by DELL-Aaron on 12-04-200609:50 AM

24 Posts

December 9th, 2006 02:00

Message Edited by TALKIETIME on 06-26-2007 02:15 AM

21 Posts

December 9th, 2006 03:00

Hi All,

I installed the posted update for the Cineplayer and all things are working now, cineplayer, media player and media center.

One thing I also noted was that the Media Direct software never failed...I had never used that, but tried it out (after having it for almost a year, go figure).  At least I could watch movies without having to change the calendar.  But in this case Media Direct is like underwear, not the best thing in the world, but next to the best thing...in that I could watch movies, but couldn't do any other productive work.

LOL!
Ciao for now!
No Events found!