Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2007 12:00

New XPS 410 with blank Vista logon screen

Just got an XPS 410 and I'm having trouble with the video card or its driver (ATI Radeon X1300)

After turning the computer on, Vista loads up, I hear the startup sound, but then the screen that usually asks you to choose a user is totally blank.

If I guesstimate with the mouse and manage to click a username and put in the password, the desktop shows up, and I get an error message in the taskbar "R300 driver became unresponsive but recovered"

I've tried to update the video drivers (downloaded from the Dell website) but it didn't help.  Also downloaded the drivers for my digital flat panel but that didn't help either.

config:

Core 2 Duo E6600, 2 GB ram, 256 MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro, 640GB performance RAID 0, IEEE 1394, media card reader, 1907 digital flat panel, Dual TV Tuner, Vista Premium.

The only other things I've done software-wise was to configure Norton Antivirus, add a printer (Vista drivers from Brother for a MFC-7820N), and I'm guessing that Vista has auto-updated itself already.

XPS support had no idea--anyone out here know about this problem? 

Thanks,
Jason

---

ADDENDUM--

I found two similar threads, all seem to have this same video card--

The second post suggests updating the BIOS--I've done that on my machine, with no improvement.

Message Edited by quadrun1 on 02-23-2007 08:48 AM

14 Posts

March 6th, 2007 13:00

I'll have to double-check which version of Catalyst I downloaded... ATI support said I should try rebuilding the Windows WMI Resository... not sure what that is, but I suppose I'll give that a try too.

Also wondering, what kind of Windows performance score are you guys getting with the newer driver? 

Thanks
Jason

March 7th, 2007 12:00

Performance score of 4.2 for the graphics card.

8 Posts

March 7th, 2007 13:00

Ditto for me - 4.2 for Gaming Graphics 4.7 under 'Graphics', and mid 5's otherwise

14 Posts

March 26th, 2007 15:00

Finally figured how to fix the problem, the WMI Repository was corrupted.

Various instructions on how to rebuild it didn't work until I found a "wmi_diag" script on the Microsoft support site.  It recommended various things, but ultimately, in the end, the way I got WMI to work was to copy over a fresh version of a folder named "Repository" -- thankfully Dell has a new image on the D: partition. 

The Repository folder is located in:
%systemroot%\system32\wbem

Jason

9 Posts

March 30th, 2007 20:00

Mar. 28, 2007 7.3 Version Driver is posted now.

1 Message

April 5th, 2007 13:00

I have the same video card and blank secreen problem.

I bought a new machine 5 weeks ago specifically to avoid these VERY kinds of problems as I am not knowledgeable enough to delete, reinstall or reconfigure programs without making a total mess of the machine.  This is ridiculous -- I just spent 2 grand on a machine that doesnt start properly.  What would you recommend?

If Dell doesnt have a fix, I should be able to get a new (different) machine out of them, no? 

9 Posts

April 5th, 2007 18:00

I have a SCEPTRE X9g-Naga V 19" Flat Panel and a ATI Radeon X1300 256MB Grapics Card. I 'm not aware of your config.
I made sure the Device Manager showed the correct Monitor by loading the driver .INF file for my monitor(Update Driver Button in Device Manager). Direct Devive Manager to the folder where you have the most up to date .INF file that is available for your Monitor.

I also would go to the website of the Graphics Card maker for the Graphics Adapter that you have and downloaded the latest driver and any application to control that graphics adapter.

I would not allow the Windows system run with device manager showing just default monitor or standard monitor. Make sure it does show the correct monitor you have.

Those two combinations of Monitor .INF and Newest Graphics Drivers loaded correctly is all it took to fix my particular problem.

I am not an expert but I truly believe it has something to do with not having a driver loaded at boot time that can deal with any graphical screen for the DVI Port. A graphical driver was loading for the VGA port no matter what MONITOR Windows Configered but the Flat Panel needed the additional DVI driver at boot time if using the DVI port. And it did not have that untill I had installed the correct Monitor .INF file and newest Graphic card drivers.

That's all I did to fix my prob. I simply had not followed SOP !!!!!
No Events found!