Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2017 23:00

No 'Dell Backup and Recovery' Option on system restore boot menu.

Hi

I'm really getting frustrated with my Dell laptop. It loads Windows 7 (Professional) but I want to do a system restore back to factory settings as it's 4 years old. All important data is backed up to cloud storage and double backed up on external hard drives.

Machine is a Latitude E6530 running Windows 7 Pro.

If I go to Windows drive manager I see there is a Dell Recovery Partition

'Dell Backup and Recovery' was not factory installed in my system, so I downloaded it and tried to run it. It ran for hours 'creating a disk image' or something. Why it has to do this if I just want to reformat and load the original drivers etc I don't know. I left it running overnight and it crashed. Try to run it again and I get an infuriating error that it has had a problem and has to close. The software is junk.

Next, I try from the advanced boot menu accessed by hammering the F8 key when the Dell logo is showing on startup. I go to the 'repair my system' option and there are various options but no Dell Backup and Recovery.

Why did Dell bother with a recovery partition when it cannot be accessed?

So as far as I see, it looks like my only option is to manually reformat the hard drive and clear off all the Dell proprietary junk and hope that Windows 7 will load the correct drivers. But even this seems to be an issue; if I run the command prompt and type 'format C:\' I get an error (though maybe this is me trying to use old DOS code with a different system'.

I've had this laptop for 4 years, most of the time something was wrong with it, two warranty repair calls. This will be my last Dell laptop but I would like to get a year or two more use out of it.

Before I go and manually wipe clean the hard drive (if that is even an option on this wretched thing) is there anything else I can try to attempt to restore the factory Dell image?

Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

July 26th, 2017 07:00

Hi EurasiaOverland,

Thanks for posting.

As I read your post, I see you've been very dilligent in backin up your information.  Congratulations, as most people don't do this, and are in a panic by this time.

By chance did you create a backup/recovery disk or usb drive?  If so, please use that to restore your Windows OS.  If you didn't, then reinstalling Windows 7 would be your best option.  

Here is information about DBAR:  http://dell.to/2uXq1aV

And if you need additional information about OS reinstall, here's an article you may find helpful:  http://dell.to/2uXg2Cb  

If you are using a Dell OEM Win 7 disk, it does not require the activation key.  If you are using a purchased software disk, then you will need the activation key.

July 27th, 2017 01:00

Hi Robert

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

No, I did not make a backup CD as I wanted to start from fresh with a clean install. As I mentioned above, DBAR was a big waste of time for me, crashing after many hours and refusing to run again.

I ended up running Gparted from a bootable USB stick, deleted the recovery partition, and then adjusted my main hard drive to two partitions; 80GB for the OS and the remainder for data.

I then booted from the Windows 7 DVD, reformatted the primary partition to get rid of all of the old installation, and installed Windows 7. There was indeed no need to enter a service tag.

Initially there were no ethernet drivers so downloaded these from the Dell website on another machine, and installed them after flashing the BIOS with the latest A20 version. Once the ethernet drivers were installed I could connect to my router with an RJ45 cable and then go ahead and download all the drivers and run them.

The system now runs much faster, and I gained about 50GB of space from whatever junk had accumulated on there.

Once again, thanks for your assistance,

EO

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

July 27th, 2017 04:00

Glad you were able to get it working the way you wanted.

Thanks for using the Dell Community Forum.

No Events found!