Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2007 14:00

No USB devices are recognized after plugging in SimpleTech external hard drive; pls help!

I posted this previously in the hardware section for Dimension 8300 and a friendly responder suggested that I repost it here. I unplugged a thumb drive on the front USB port on my Dimension 8300 running xp and plugged in a SimpleTech external hard drive that I had previously used on another compaq computer running xp. Although device manager tells me that all USB components are working, and although I can still pull power from the USB ports to power an MP3 player, the Dimension does not "see" the drive, nor any other device connected to any other USB port. I have done the following: (1) deleted USB hubs and controllers, then restarted, (2) deleted all drivers and reinstalled them, (3) disabled power management, (4) installed Dell's Driver Reset Tool, (5) reinstalled the chipset software, (6) reinstalled/repaired Windows XP, (7) tried various hotfixes that Microsoft has on its website for USB problems. Nothing has worked; the only hint I have is that when I reinstalled/repaired Windows I got a message that the computer could not find omci.sys, and while I could not find omci.sys on the Dell installation disks the file remains on my hard drive. Are there any other ideas out there as to how to fix this? Thanks very much in advance.

326 Posts

April 19th, 2007 19:00

That file should be in this location: C:\windows\system32\drivers\omci.sys Also see this link: http://www.file.net/process/omci.sys.html There are a couple of possibilities: 1): A service is not being auto started 2): The system may have a virus ... you should run a full Spyware / Antirirus scan and see what turns up ... do this in Safe Mode

Message Edited by 85rx-7se on 04-19-2007 05:00 PM

8 Posts

April 20th, 2007 09:00

I did perform a full virus scan in safe mode, which included the omci.sys file, and found nothing.

527 Posts

April 20th, 2007 13:00

Does the drive require an AC Adapter? If it does not, check the hubs in the device manager to see that your device is getting the full 500mA it needs to operate. You may need an AC Powered hub for these purposes.

8 Posts

April 20th, 2007 14:00

None of the USB ports work, and no device works or can be "seen" by the computer, including my thumb drives, other than my MP3 player, which just gets power. This is a system-wide problem created by the SimpleTech drive, not a problem with power to this particular device. My strong suspicion is that the SimpleTech drive destroyed some piece of hardware necessary for the computer to recognize USB devices, although it can't be a fuse problem since the MP3 player still works. I thought I'd post here just in case there is some software issue that someone is aware of.

596 Posts

April 20th, 2007 17:00

Unfotunatley you may have a damaged mother board. you might want to get a PCI USB 2.0 card and try that out.

326 Posts

April 20th, 2007 17:00

Run a repair install of Windows .. that should fix it This link will give you the correct procedure to follow: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

7 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 00:00

i am having a similar problem. my 1TB Simpletech ext HD is not recognized by my wifes e1505. i looked at a couple of forums and read about fried motherboards or blown fuses, so i tried to see if it would look at a thumb drive. a couple of seconds later the thumb drive folders opened up

7 Posts

October 28th, 2008 20:00

i ended up returning the harddrive. i didn't have time to troubleshoot. but a month later my wife  found a deal for a seagate pro. had the same problem. i ended up using sfc.exe /scannow as posted in the following post

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&message.id=292484#M292484

No Events found!