Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2009 08:00

No product key needed for Dell Restore disc onto genuine Dell PC, correct?

I've purchased a couple of older Dell desktop PC's and currently only have one restore disc that is for Windows XP Pro (disc writing - all = "Dell XP Professional Restore CD."

One of the desktops has tthe XP Pro installed and the other has XP Home (Dimension 8300).   I have gahered what I believe is the correct answer from previous postings and replies, but I want to confirm.

If I use a genuine Dell restore CD on a genuine Dell PC, then I don't need a Product Key,  correct?

The PC that came with XP Pro installed AND the Dell XP Pro Restore CD has a Win2000 Pro product key on the sticker on the side and my other Dell PC has an XP Home Edition product key on the sticker.  Can I still use the XP Pro restore disc for either PC, if I wanted to reformat the hard drive and install  XP Pro?

Neither PC has the recovery or restore partition on the hard drives.  I have all necessary back-up files, applications, and drivers for each PC.

How much difference is there between XP Home and XP Pro - hard disc space?  Functions?  Features? Etc?

Thanks,

JP

3.7K Posts

April 4th, 2009 08:00

If I use a genuine Dell restore CD on a genuine Dell PC, then I don't need a Product Key,  correct?

Hi SillyLittleBoy, If you use XP Pro disc on an XP Pro System, then the product key which is on an blue sticker stuck to your system case will be ok. However, if you use an XP Pro disc on an XP home edition system, then the product key on the system case is no good. One of the main difference with XP Pro and H E. Home Edition has media player and Windows Media Center.

April 4th, 2009 20:00

I purchased TWO Used Dell PC's.  One of them has the product key sticker for Windows2000 Pro, but the OS on the computer is XP Pro AND the restore disc that I was given by the seller was the "Dell XP Professional Restore CD."

So, it appears that this Dell PC owner was able to install XP Pro over Win2000 Pro without entering a product key for XP Pro.

Is it just the difference between XP Home and XP Pro?  What if I have an XP Home Edition Dell PC (with product key sticker for same) AND use a "Dell XP Media Center Edition 2005 Dell Restore Disc" will THAT work without a new product key?

Many of the threads and postings I have read have indicated that "Dell Restore Discs" access the Dell BIOS, which has a Dell inclusive product key within.  I notice that Dell Restore Discs are generic and not specific to any model number of type of Dell PC.

I'm assuming that if the above IS true, then Dell wouldn't want to necessarily advertise this.

Thanks,

JP

No Events found!