Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2012 08:00

OEM license key of dell for windows 7 professional 64 bit

I have  ordered  30 laptop without os. There are  received me. But now I have to install OEM os with a dell COA sticker.

1.Can I do this???

2. Can I order above oem os with a dell coa sticker for my purchased machine separately  from dell?

Thanks....

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 24th, 2012 08:00

1.  No.  You ordered them without an OS.
2.  No.  Must be purchased with the system.

You have two options:

1.  Return them, then repurchase with an OS.
2.  Purchase a Retail Windows license for each machine.

You may be able to work out a deal with a local system builder to sell/repurchase with OEM license (generic/Microsoft OEM which is a lot cheaper than full Retail), but the system builder's cost on deal like that would probably make it the same as going with Retail in the first place.  You can't purchase generic/Microsoft OEM software for your own machines.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 24th, 2012 09:00

You can by "OEM" software by Microsoft from many computer retailers.  It is a discounted version of Windows that is sold to be installed on a PC for RESALE.  Dell, HP, Acer, etc. are what are called branded OEM, who have special agreements above and beyond the agreement that is included with the "generic" OEM software sold by retailers.  This OEM software is NOT for use by the person who purchases it - it must be installed on a PC that is then sold to someone else.

A local system builder would be some person or company in your area that builds PC's, installing OEM software on computers that it sells to its customers.  

If you made the mistake of purchasing PC's without an OS, you may be able to "sell" the PC's to a local system builder, who would then install an OEM version of Windows, then sell the PC's back to you.  Probably the easier thing - and possibly the cheaper thing - to do would be to return and reorder ... or just purchase Retail licenses.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Oem system builder software is NOT supported by Dell or Microsoft.

If you want support you have to buy Dells with Preinstalled windows.

what is generic/Microsoft OEM software? and local system builder ????

No Events found!