Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 25th, 2006 03:00

OS asking for XP disk, Can't restore.

I had a virus which the virus program caught but apparently some damage has been done.  It is a Dell Inspiron 1000 notebook (wife's).

I can't browse certain websites, usually secure or log into e-mail online, etc.

I found a KB article with several steps.  The one step it doesn't pass is the SFC /scannow or something like that which checks protected system files.  It asks for an XP disk which I can't find.  Can't remember if one came with notebook.  Can't remember if I did the make CD option.  Can't seem to find any of the paperwork or documentation. 

Anyway I read about the option of CTRL-F11, but it doesn't work.  I logged in and went to administration and it only shows 2 partitions, the normal one and a small one. 

I went into Bios and was able to change boot sequence and boot into the utility one and those programs work fine, but nothing there to help with my issue.

It appears the restore partition is no longer on the drive (or maybe it never was).  I don't remember deleting any partitions.

What can I do now?  Still looking for the paperwork, maybe I created the disk (I did with all my other PCs), so I am hoping it is all in one place somewhere.  If not, what are my options?  Everything works except for certain websites.

I have checked all the other items the KB said to check, including the security settings and all of that.  I believe it is a problem with some files.  Upon each boot this SFC /scannow program tries to run and I have to cancel it.  It will get to a point and ask for a disk and you can't redirect to other folders and I don't know what files it needs.

2.9K Posts

JPConard,

First and safest option:  Dell computers usually have original system files located in the C:\i386 folder.  Enter that path when prompted by the sfc /scannow system file checker.

Second option:  Click on the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page.  Try to get Dell to send you a  Reinstallation CD for Windows XP for your Inspiron.  Be prepared to pay a nominal price.  You may have to be persistent and insistent.

Third Option:  Check your Windows XP Product Label on the bottom of the Inspiron case.  If you have a friend that has the same version of XP, you can use that CD with the sfc /scannow command.  Be careful with this one.  If you have XP Home SP2, do not use an XP Home, XP Home SP1, XP PRO or XP MCE CD.  You must use the same exact version.  Likewise, if your XP has been upgraded to SP2, you must use an SP2 CD to avoid problems.

Tony

18.8K Posts

ljpconard,

You say you used the option of creating an operating system CD with other systems. If you have another Dell XP CD of the same edition (Home or Professional) as is installed on your wife's Inspiron 1000 you can use it. Dell OEM XP CDs are iterchangeable within edition lines.

The Inspiron 1000 was released about the time that the PC Restore feature was first included on Dells and it sounds as though yours was shipped before it could get it.

4 Posts

May 25th, 2006 16:00

Thanks,

1) The other systems I spoke of are Emachines and HP, so they won't work with the Dell.

2) I would think since they didn't have the restore partition but do now, they should be more inclined to send a disk.

3) I do have the I386 folder, but the SFC /scannow will not let you re-direct, wants CD only.

4) I have upgraded to SP2, so even if I found my restore disk (assuming I created it), it would not have the correct files on it.

What do I do now?  Try to get disk from Dell and re-install from scratch it sounds like.

18.8K Posts

May 25th, 2006 20:00

jpconard,

Were the computer a couple of years younger I'd offer my standard recommendation:
Contact Dell at one of the links in this post and request an XP reinstallation CD.

Unfortunately, I suspect that an XP CD was shipped with the computer. Still, the worst that can happen if you ask Dell is that they might say no.

To redirect System File Checker to the I386 folder requires that you go into the registry to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup and change the value of SourcePath to C:\, but as you noted those files will not match what is currently being run on the computer.

238 Posts

May 25th, 2006 21:00

jpconard,

I just doubt that Dell would keep replacement CDs of earlier versions of XP (much too complicated....). All they ship now is XP SP2, so just try Denny's suggestion to get a replacement CD - I'm pretty sure that if they agree to ship you one, it would be SP2.

The only thing that is sure is that you won't get one if you don't insist to get one.

Good luck!

Lemmi

4 Posts

May 26th, 2006 20:00

Good news, wife found all of the documentation and disks including the XP disk.  Went through the scan and it took whatever files it needed.  Although the disk was SP1a and I had since upgraded to SP2.  Hope it has the correct files.

I also re-installed JAVA so maybe that was the real problem for not getting to secure websites.  Now it gets to any website and seems to be working great.  Did the full Windows update for all security issues.

Thanks for the help.

Oh I also made a back-up of the XP disk, just in case.  Now we will put the stuff where I want to keep it.

238 Posts

May 26th, 2006 21:00

Glad to hear that the problem is solved.

I hope you gave your wife a big kiss....

Good to know as well that the upgrade to SP2 didn't make a difference. Because I have an SP1 disk and upgraded to SP2, too...

Lemmi

No Events found!