Go to Solution

January 31st, 2017 20:00

OS installation on a new harddrive

I got the error code while running diagnostictest

2000-0151

validation 109663  incorrect status =32

than I got

2000-1042 validation 79093

I bought a drive, installed it, started to load from supplied disk (Windows 8.1 Recovery Media for Win 8.1)  I can see one screen with Window 8 than another to select country and others things than it asks me for the activation key  I found few numbers on the disc envelop but they were incorrect. Anybody had this problem?

9.4K Posts

February 1st, 2017 07:00

januwan,

Thanks for posting.

This error message usually indicates a dying hard drive.  I see that you purchased a new drive, and are having difficulty installing the OS.  

Here is some information you may find helpful:

http://dell.to/2kRSu9U

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 1st, 2017 09:00

Sounds like you are installing the incorrect Edition e.g. Windows 8.1 Home instead of Windows 8.1 Home Single Language. Use the Windows 10 RS1 .iso which is multi-Edition and will pickup your Windows 8.x Product Key installing the correct Edition of Windows 10:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

6 Posts

February 4th, 2017 20:00

Robert,  Philip

Thank you for the correct solution.  You were correct, after getting Win 10 from Microsoft site, I was able to install Win 10 on my new drive and I wasn't asked for the activation key.  

I could't get Win 10 RS, just got what was recommended (Win 10).  I also downloaded Win 10 single Language but the Win 10 did the job.

I am only disappointed by Dell Extended Warranty department. Instead of directing me to the forum or sending links (like you did) they offered me chargeable service (something around $100).

I do have black Reinstallation DVD for Win 7 Pro which came with my laptop.   Is it going to be useless like the red one (Win 8) which came with my desktop, when my drive fail in future.  

Why does Dell send those discs if they cannot be used.

One final question. My mouse behave wired. I am having problems with dragging folders around the desktop. I can move them only by drop down menu.  I found on a different forum it's a common problem after upgrading to Win 10.

If you know the solution please let me know.

Once again thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 5th, 2017 13:00

I do have black Reinstallation DVD for Win 7 Pro which came with my laptop.   Is it going to be useless like the red one (Win 8) which came with my desktop, when my drive fail in future.  

Why does Dell send those discs if they cannot be used.

The Windows 7 Professional Reinstallation DVD should work but you can use the Windows 10 RS1 (Windows 10 Build 14393) and clean install with your Windows 7 Pro OEM key if you want. The .iso you used is build 14393 (also known as Redstone 1 or RS1 or the Anniversary Update).

Theres been much discussions about Windows Installation Media in the past. My installation guides pretty much highlighted all the flaws regarding the naming of Windows Editions, the Digital Distribution of Windows Installation Media,  flaws with the Product Keys and some flaws with Product Activation. I then gave an assortment of unofficial workarounds...

Microsoft have been actively listening to feedback for Windows 10... and as a consequence of the popularity of my installation guides they addressed almost all the flaws I highlighted hence the installation of Windows 10 is relatively painless.

It could be a touchpad driver problem. What model of Dell do you have? Press [Windows] and [ r ] and type in msinfo32 and press [Enter]/ Let me know the OS Name, Version, System Model, BIOS Version/Date and SMBIOS Version.

6 Posts

February 6th, 2017 20:00

Hi Philip,

OS name,       Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version,          10.0.14393

System            XPS 8700

BIOS                Dell Inc, A01 5/16/2013

My mouse problem has been solved. I just replaced the mouse (recommendation from a different forum:)

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 7th, 2017 06:00

Great seems like you are up and running. Your Original Edition was Windows 8.1 Home, which corresponds to Windows 10 Home. You have the RS1 build 14393. 

There is a UEFI BIOS update (A11) is available. You may want to update it as theres likely some enhancements to make Windows 10 run slightly better (optional):

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03163439M/1/XPS_8700_BIOS_A11.EXE 

No Events found!