Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2011 09:00

Office & Dell Factory Image Restore

Hi, 

i'm going to use Dell Factory Image Restore on my Dell Studio XPS 1640.

It goes back to factory setting but i was wondering if you lose your license on microsoft office 2007?

I payed for it when i bought the laptop but i don't wanna lose it because i really need it at this moment (school)

I never had a license-key for it...

Thx

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 6th, 2011 13:00

From other posts here it looks like you will loose office unless you have the disc and product key.  Also from other posts, Dell will only provide missing software and product keys for the first 30 days of ownership.  They do not keep records of products such as office so they can't give you the product key.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

May 6th, 2011 14:00

There are programs for retrieving Microsoft Office 2007 product key. However, without the CD, the product key is useless, since Microsoft has moved on to Office 2010. If you can locate an Office 2007 you can install using the product key that you retrieve from your laptop.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 6th, 2011 18:00

You can use the free Belarc Advisor to find your Office  2007 key before you run PC Restore. But as already indicated, you'll need the Office 2007 CD to reinstall Office after the Restore.

Note that on my PC, the key shown by Belarc is Dell's OEM product key for Office, rather than my own personal key. So it may only work if Dell's Office 2007 CD is used to reinstall. My personal product key for Office is on the original envelope in which the Office CD was sent to me.

Also keep in mind that you'll need to reinstall all Microsoft updates and hotfixes for Windows (eg, Service Packs), for IE and Office, etc etc, asap after PC Restore. Otherwise your system will be wide open to malware infections.

Ron

2 Posts

May 7th, 2011 03:00

Thx for the answers... 

The problem is that i never got a CD for office. I only have a CD for Works.

I think the only solution is buying a new Office CD..

No Events found!