Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2006 02:00

Outlook Express can't connect with server

I cannot use Outlook Express because I can't connect to my isp, Netscape. I receive a message " can't connect to server: Error #OX80CCOE."  Outlook Express is configured properly to read E-mail account on Netscape Internet Service. OE was pre loaded on my Dell computor.If I uninstall it I don't know how to get it back. What should I do?
Helmatack

99 Posts

October 26th, 2006 03:00

Although I would never recommend uninstalling express since its a core file default with the OS a link below from tucows has it available for free download.  Assuming your pop account is set up properly and a firewall isn't blocking outlook then you may want to check microsoft for a newer update.  perhaps you are running an older service pack that is incompatible with your os.........  Maybe another can provide factual evidence that it i safe to uninstall and reinstall without doin so from the xp repair cd?!?

12K Posts

October 26th, 2006 04:00

When did the problem start?  What changes occurred to the system to make this happen?

7 Posts

October 26th, 2006 12:00

The problem has always been present. Thank you for responding
Helmatack

12K Posts

Confirm your POP3 and SMTP server settings with your ISP.

7 Posts

Thank you for the advice. I have looked for an update but have been unable to find one. Microsoft  tells me to contaxct Dell because the program was on the computor when I bought it. Dell is not helpful. The problem has always been present
Helmatack

99 Posts

Its not hardware related as the program acts as the program was designed to act.  Have you tried to setup your Outlook Express with any other mail servers?  Perhaps try to configure it for a known good pop3 account and see if it will connect.  Also you could go in and disable the non critical Microsoft aps within your msconfig and continue to attempt to reconnect with a known good config and then once working then enable the non critical aps one at a time to see if there are any application conflicts.  Don't use express but am quite certain the fundamentals of Outlook 2003 should carry forward with Express.

1.3K Posts

October 26th, 2006 14:00

helmatack

Under Control Panel Add/Remove Programs, click on Windows Installed Components. Remove the check mark next to Outlook Express, click OK. This will uninstall OE. Then reverse the procedure by placing a check mark next to Outlook Express and click OK. This will reinstall OE.

Before uninstall here is a neat little backup program for Outlook Express.  It can be used for backup and restore of OE.

7 Posts

October 26th, 2006 17:00

My isp tells me there is nothing they can do. The settings are correct and it is not firewall related.
Thank you

7 Posts

This might work , but I would like to continue with netscape. I would have trouble disabling non critical aps  in OE   Thank you

7 Posts

There is no windows installed programs on my add remove programs list so I cant use it to uninstall OE   thanks for the suggestion

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 26th, 2006 18:00

You cannot uninstall OE at all. In control panel, it's listed under Windows Components, but that is just to remove ACCESS to OE from the start menu. It doesn't uninstall it. You should contact Netscape for instructions or just skip OE and use your browser to access your web mail. You cannot use Outlook Express for free web mail. You must have a paid service provider that uses POP servers.

7 Posts

October 27th, 2006 23:00

Thank you I will follow your advice
No Events found!