Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2006 23:00

PC stops responding after booting to Windows

"My DELL Dimension 8300 has started crashing on my recently. It will boot up and after loading everything the monitor goes blank and the power button on the monitor turns yellow. The Num Lock and Caps Lock lights on the keyboard are still lit up but I can get no response from the PC. I have to go into Norton Go Back to select a restore point that will enable me to boot up the machine. Sometimes I have to make more than one attempt before it actually starts working. The PC will work for a day or two and then I will have to go through the same routine again. It seems like a software conflict of some type. I had 2 anti-virus/firewall programs installed and I removed one of them in hopes of resolving the problem. Should I reinstall Windows?"

28K Posts

December 26th, 2006 23:00

This sounds like it could be a failing hard drive.   Hit the F12 key after restarting the computer and run the Dell Diagnostics.

Steve

1 Message

December 27th, 2006 00:00

I face the same problem(PC Stops Responding after booting) now and then with my brand new Dell Latitude D820 Notebook installed with Windows XP(with sp2 ) Professional.

Please let me know on how can i ask Dell guys to sort it out? Iam hesistant of sorting out by myself.

12 Posts

December 27th, 2006 02:00

The hard drive passed the diagnostics test. What do I do next?

2.7K Posts

December 27th, 2006 22:00

Try this
Boot the system from the Windows XP CD.
It may be necessary to change the order of boot devices in ths BIOS so that the system will boot from the CD drive.

As the system boots from the Windows XP CD, a blue Windows Setup screen appears and a number of files load. This process takes approximately a minute.

A Welcome to Setup screen appears.
Press the key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
The Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console appears.

Type the following number at the Which Windows installation would you like to log on to?
1  (the number one)
If your Windows XP installation occurs as a different number, type the   appropriate number
Press the key on your keyboard.

Type the Administrator password: appears.
Enter the administrator password followed by pressing the key on your keyboard.
If no administrator password has been set, press the key on your keyboard.

After entering the Recovery Console, you are presented with a C:\WINDOWS>  prompt.
Type
Fixboot
ENTER

Fixmbr
ENTER

Then type EXIT
No Events found!