nissi2
1 Nickel

Re: Picture of Recovery Drive has turned Red

Jump to solution

I wanted to check Suggest As Answer on the post where the instructions for cleaning the Recovery (D) drive exists.  However, if you notice, Suggest As Answer does not exist on that particular post, at least not on my end.  If it does on your end, please check it.  If not I will choose another of your posts As An Answer.  Also, I was unable to indicate the appropriate Tags.  When I typed a letter, something else was suggested and I was unable to delete it.

Nissi1&2

Hanspuppa
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Hello Nissi1&2, Glad things are working out for you. I also had the issue of lost post. DCF still has some work to do here.

You could leave the D: drive unchecked since it is the Dell Recovery Restore partition on the hard drive and is not supposed to be used as a drive for use to store any files except the Dell Recovery Restore files.

You can use this procedure for the C: drive from time to time if you feel it is needed.

Otherwise you seem to have accomplished what you set out to do.

I have choosen to leave the DCF after about 5 years here due to certain members attitudes toward me and others.

So I wanted to come back and check you progress one more time since you advised you would update us on your success or lack therof.

I have enjoyed most of my time here, but it is now time for me to go.

Thanks again for your update.

Highlighted
nissi2
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Good morning Hanspuppa,

How is Mr. Hanspuppa.

I am sorry you have decided to leave.  Emotions are running high since this new and unapproved DCF came into being.  This is a place I have become accustomed to running to whenever I had a computing problem.  Not only have I had many solved, I have learned so much and I would like to think I have also assisted a few folks along the way.  It is home for me and it appears by the number of people who has taken the Poll, to many others.  Bugbatter said the new DCF is like moving into a new home.  I am beginning to feel like the designers and builders of my new home has played a cruel joke on me.

I understand about the attitudes of some members.  I was racially attacked earlier this year and had to leave DCF for a tick to keep from speaking my piece.  I expected some unwanted feedback once I uploaded my avatar, but it came from people I had communicated with on several occasions.  However, I was not going to let those souls out of all the other wonderful souls I had met at the forum have the last say.

It seems you are quite knowledgeable when it comes to computers.  I know for certain you have been a big help to me.  I hope you keep that in mind.  I do not know what is happening with this new and improved DCF.  However, I do know that people like myself (yes I will be returning from time to time) will continue to need assistance from experience persons as yourself.  Case in point:

In your instructions, you wrote I should uncheck the C drive to rid it of restore points.  Since I was more concerned with the D drive, I concentrated on that drive.  When I initially unticked the C drive, I thought I had made a grave error.  Now you suggested in your last post to leave the Recovery drive unticked.  Along with the D drive being the Recovery drive, does not the Restore points reside there also?

If you have decided that your last post, is your last post and you will not be responding to the above question, please know I wish you and Hanspuppa all the best.

Continued blessings,

Nissi1&2

Hanspuppa
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Hello nissi2, While I will not be posting here for others, I will check in from time to time and check for your post. That is very easy to do. Since the D: drive is the Dell Recovery Restore partition of the hard drive, it should be left unchecked so it will not have any Windows Restore Points created on it. When it was checked before, it tried to create Windows Restore Points on it.

It was not meant for this purpose. This is just another Dell oversight. The C: drive should be checked all the time, so Windows can create Restore Points for the C: drive. These are created when new programs are installed and at certain times by the OS and shown as System Checkpoints.

From time to time, I uncheck the box for the C: drive, click Apply, and the Windows Restore Points are removed in just a few seconds. Then I recheck the box for the C: drive, click Apply, and then create a new Windows Restore Point. You will be asked to name the Restore Point. Just give it a name that you can remember, example: "After Adobe Reader installed 12-06-2008 7:00 PM" without the quotation marks. The Windows Restore Point will be created.

You can close out of the System Restore Utility and reopen it and see the only Restore Point available will be the one you just created. Long explanation, but once you have done it a few times, it becomes routiene. If the D: drive is left unchecked, there will be no Restore Points created on the D: drive. With the C: drive checked, the Restore Points will be created and stored on the C: drive.

We took Mr. Hanspuppa to the Vet and had some moles and a large growth from his neck removed. He was a little groggy when he got home but is almost back to himself. These moles are common for his breed in their elderly years. Since I am as old as he, I had the Vet give me a mole check also. Just kidding.

Hope all the information above is not too confusing and helpful. I will be checking in from time to time for your post.

Thanks for you concern and Friendship.

nissi2
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hello Hanspuppa,

It was a pleasant surprise to look among the duplicate notices and see a reply from you.    It is good to hear little Hanspuppa is well and that after you had a few moles removed, you are also.  As we get older those things seem to pop out of nowhere.  (Just kidding, almost)

The information is very helpful, thank you.  I also appreciate the offer for future help, since finding this thread is extremely easy for me.  I maintain one of the notices to this thread and whenever I want to return here, I simply click the link in the notice.  Ah, there is a way around the madness.

I have another issue which I must inquiry about.  But to maintain uniformity with the tags, since it is a different topic, I will start a new thread.  Even in the old, much loved forum, searching a topic was sometimes difficult enough without having them combined in one post.

I am truly sorry you have decided to leave, although I understand.  I have met great people here, and they keep me coming back.  I even invited someone to be a friend.  I offer the same invitation to you and hope you go to my site and post yourself as such.

Take care of Hanspuppa and for you I pray for continued Grace and Peace,

Nissi1&2

nissi2
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Good morning Hanspuppa,

Thank you for the request.  I am now Nissi1 again.  I was able to straighten out the mess I got myself into.  Your name has been added to Nissi2's page.  I wanted to send you an email, however, besides the comments, I could not find a way to do this.

I apologize for the inconvenience, but please send the request again to Nissi1 instead of Nissi2.  Nissi1 is the one with the avatar and it is my original account.  I will no longer be using this account; except if I cannot sign-in with Nissi1.

Thank you and give little Hanspuppa an extra hug.

Grace and Peace,

Nissi1

deity888
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Hanspuppa,

I was looking through topics related to Recovery Drive and I have read all your replies to this particular topic and found it very informative, thanks.

I'm new with computers and I just recently bought a studio 1537 laptop. I did a back-up of my personal files which made my Recovery Drive full. Since then I always see a message in the taskbar saying that my recovery drive has low memory. What I did, which I regret after reading your replies was I right clicked on the Recovery Drive and selected Format. Now my Recovery drive is empty. I know I did something terrible but is there a way to restore/recover the system contents of the drive?

nissi2
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hello,

I must admit when I read your postt I also felt a sense of dread remembering the mistake I made when I attempted to make space on my D drive. 

Unfortunately, Hanspuppa has decided to leave the community, as he wrote in this thread.  Since he has made that decision, he may or may not respond to your question.  May I suggest to receive a quicker response, post your question in a new thread.  Perhaps you can copy and paste the second paragraph in that post instead of retyping it.  Since my knowledge is very basic, I am unable to assist you.  But rest assured someone will certainly have an answer to your dilemma. 

Good luck and have a safe and happy holiday.

Nissi1

deity888
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Nissi1,

Thanks for letting me know. I will do as you suggested and post a new thread. Thanks again and happy holidays to you too!

nissi2
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you.

Would you mind explaining what 888 represents?