Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

January 31st, 2008 03:00

Problem re-installing Windows OS

Hello everyone and thanks for your attention!

It's kind of embarrassing to ask you this since I'm not non-experienced with computers at all. But I bought this laptop Dell Latitude D830 for college and as it's the case with many laptops there were no backup DVD's included. I also own an Acer laptop and installing new Windows OS on that is easy, via Start>All programs.

But I've looked on my Dell laptop and I truely have no clue how to re-install Windows again (if/when i have to). So if you could inform me about this I'd very much appreciate it.

Regards,
Devon

2.9K Posts

January 31st, 2008 05:00

Fiflatoxic,

I assume you purchased your Latitude from Dell.  You can order backup discs for your system here:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

Note: Using PC Restore for a Windows XP system or a Factory Image Restore for a Vista system will erase any data you have stored on your drive.  Backup your data because these methods of reinstalling Windows will put your system back to its "as-shipped" condition.

Hope this info helps.

Tony

January 31st, 2008 13:00

Hi tgsmith, you've been of great help thank you! Via the link you provided I found the solution:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1. Restart the computer. To do this, click Start, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.

2. As the computer restarts, press the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

3. Press the (Down Arrow) to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press Enter.

4. Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.

5. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.

6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.

7. In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.

8. Click to select the check box for Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition.

9. Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.

10. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't think of this, because I thought the new generation laptops have the option to restore OS's right from the desktop.

Regards,

Devon

2.9K Posts

January 31st, 2008 18:00

Fiflatoxic,

Glad you got it fixed.  Thanks for posting back.  It helps everyone if we know how a problem was eventually solved.

Good luck!

Tony
No Events found!