Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2009 13:00

Problem reinstalling Windows Media Center.

I have a Dell sps 400. The mother board was replaced at the dirction of Dell support. I now need to reinstall Windows Media Center 2005 but nonone of the Dell restore CD Operating systems including the Media Center 2005 can see the hard drive. Is this because of the different motherboard? (Windows XP Pro can see the hard drive.) How do I resolve this?

The computer is out of warrantee and the motherboard was installed in Nov. 2008

All help appreciated.

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

January 8th, 2009 15:00

Most likely possibility is that the Media Center disk doesn't have the SATA driver included; XP only natively recognizes ATA.    The easiest way around it (if you aren't using RAID) is changing the SATA operation mode in the BIOS to Autodetect/ATA.

5 Posts

January 8th, 2009 16:00

Hi,

Also, do you have any suggestions as to what will keep the symantec system restore does not work?

Thanks,

Loretta

5 Posts

January 8th, 2009 16:00

Hi Alexandra_P,

You are right on. The Dell CD now sees the c drive. Next issue is that it doesn't see the original install. So I am now able to do a chkdsk /r and rebuild the boot. I am hoping that answers my needs. I will let you know as soon as I have an answer.

Thanks

Loretta

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

January 8th, 2009 18:00

WHOA! I was under the impression you just wanted to repartition/reformat and reinstall from scratch, which is straightforward,  but your later posts (re chkdsk and "fixing the boot") make me wonder if you're trying to just repair it. 

I will admit this is not my strong point, so hopefully someone will correct any errors.  There's a lot of ifs and maybes in here.

Changing the SATA mode means you're changing the way the drive controller reads the drive, which may be why it can no longer see your original install.   If you're intending to repair it,  the safe way to do it would be to change the mode back, and either load the driver at the F6 prompt or slipstream it into a new OS disk.

As for the PC Restore, it's on its own partition and needs the original Dell Master Boot Record to run.  Any number of things can break it (resizing partitions, fixboot, etc.)   But I would guess that in ATA mode, even if you could repair the function it wouldn't boot correctly, because it was set up assuming the original SATA drive controller mode.  A member here who's an expert on PC Restore has developed ways to try and fix it, but takes some work.  You'll have to decide if it's worth it.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm

5 Posts

January 9th, 2009 06:00

You did fine. I did reformat the drive. All is well. Consider my issue resolved.

Than you,

Loretta

No Events found!