Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 8th, 2013 17:00

Problems saving changes in 2010 Word and Excel

I have a Vostro 1510, running Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit.  Recently I am having an intermittent problem with saving changes to Word & Excel documents.  I made changes to files, the changes appeared on the screen and I was able to print them while I had the files open.  The changes appear on the printed document.  But after I saved them and closed the document, when I reopen it, the changes were gone.  I did some tests, changed some files, and the changes were saved.  But then it happened a few times more.  I went to the Dell support website, downloaded and ran the diagnostic program.  50 tests completed successfully.  However, I got a message :Tested and Needs Attention:5.  The message listed the 5 and all had the same comment attached to the test:

• Dram Test.  Dell PC Diagnostics has encourtered an unexpected result.  Please close your browser session and attempt to run the diagnostics again.  If the issue persists, please contact Dell Technical Support..   To the right of that of that was a red X Not Supported.
  • Flash ROM Test
  • Main IC TEst
  • DPU Test
  • Tray Out Test.
When I called Technical Support, they put me on with a tech in the Software department.  He had me reboot my computer, go into the Boot menu and run the Diagnostics.  When it completed the memory part and did not show any problem, he had me exit the diagnostic.  He connected to my computer with Dell Connect and had me open one of the documents I had a problem with.  He had me type some text in, save and close it, then reopen it.  The changes were saved.  He had me do the same thing with a document that I have not had the problem with.  Again, it saved the changes.  
At that point he said it was a software problem and I could buy a one time fix for $129 or buy a one year software,hardware,peripherals support package for $239.  Before I spend the money, has anyone else had this problem?  Did buying the software fix take care of the problem?
No Responses!
No Events found!