Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2008 07:00

Problems with UBS Stick & ReadyBoost

Hi there,

I have one last - less serious - problem with the XPS 720.

I have a High-Speed 2Gbyte UBS 2.0 Stick and would like to use the ReadyBoost feature from Vista to accelerate my computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

The moment I put the stick into the rig; I CAN activate ReadyBoost and life is good.
The moment I restart the computer, Vista forgets about that Stick and the enabled ReadyBoost Cache on it. I cannot even see the ReadyBoost tab on the USB stick's properties. I have to remove the USB stick and put it back in, in order to repeat the steps above.

How can I make Vista not forget about it after a restart? :)

Has anyone the same issues?

Thanks
Houman

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 28th, 2008 13:00

I wouldn't waste time on this. Ready Boost is not that effective and not all usb flash drives work. Use it as a handy removable disk instead of Ready Boost. I saw no performance difference when using a 'Ready Boost compatible' drive. Your problem might be the port you are plugging the flash drive into. Try changing it to one on the back of the tower.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 28th, 2008 16:00

I too tried Readyboost (had a 4GB drive connected for a month) and saw absolutely no difference.  If you do a google search you will see that there are more "cons" than there are "pros" about Readyboost. 

705 Posts

January 29th, 2008 02:00

Most of the positive results seem to be with very low RAM amounts <2 gb or slower HDDs...I am going to try again with my kid's laptop when it arrives since it is 2 gb 667 and 5400 rpm HDD. It may have more of an inpact on that system....This may also be worth revisiting with sp1 - there is some mention of readyboost here.
No Events found!