Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 22nd, 2008 16:00

Problems with Vista

My system: Inspiron 1525, T8100 Dual 2 Core 3gig Ram, 160 gig HDD.

I had to re-install the Vista Home Premium 2 times now and I will have to do it for a third time. Computer is only 3 months old. Why, well here we go:

1. Windows Explorer problems - first resolved then Quick Launch bar and Accessories folder disappeared. Also not possible to change user account picture. Action taken SFC /Scannow, many corrupt system files showing. I did a system repair and this worked for a week.
  2. Then same problems as above but Filezilla not working (cannot write XML file to user Account data etc. same with Dreamweaver). Did SFC /Scannow again and no corrupt files showing. But still I had these problems.
  3. Then did a clean install from a quick format. This seemed fine for a month until last night all same problems again. No Filezilla, no proper use of Dreamweaver. It seemed that the system cannot write to cache file AppData\Roaming etc.
So is this a Vista Problem to do with user accounts (I only use one account which is also the Adminstrator account) or is this something more sinister. I would like to do a complete proper old fashioned format but I have found that option yet on the CD. If anyone out there can help I would appreciate it. Arend

517 Posts

September 22nd, 2008 20:00

By 'proper old fashioned format' you mean a low level, sector by sector format?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_formatting

8 Posts

September 25th, 2008 07:00

Brand new in the box -- out of the box, I'm not computer illiterate.

but

I HATE VISTA!!!!!!!!

updates don't do a thing for it, media player plays the sound -- what happens to the rest of the video??

I DUNNO (not a good answer).

Windows 98 crashed on a regular bases, ME never crashed, windows 3.1 was so simple it was pathetic, dos was a snap. XP -- people actually liked it.

I've already heard "you'll get used to it".  

This is the most sickening "operating system", I've seen in almost 30 years.

517 Posts

September 25th, 2008 11:00

CatP, if you feel the need to vent, start a new thread at least.

8 Posts

September 25th, 2008 16:00

Actually, I'd truly like to know what program to use to watch the movie. Or is there some hidden setting in media player that needs to be tweeked so that I can watch the movie vs listening to it.

"Venting" would be stuff the machine back in the box and ship it back. The machine is excellent. It's the software that is driving me to the psych ward -- which is always adjustable with a reformating of the hard drive.

Thanks

No Events found!