Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2010 11:00

Problems with windows installer in Windows 7

Hello, I've got a problem with windows installer on my laptop, whis is Dell Vostro 1320. It was bought about 2 months ago with pre-installed windows familialle premium. But abouth a month ago something happened to the OS so I wasn't able to install anything. I went to microsoft support but, for some reason, they said that I should go to your support. That's pretty strange. Anyway, every time i try to install something I get an error window-"error launching installer". So how can I fix that?

195 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 12:00

Check your system restore log and see if you have a restore point prior to the time the problem started. If yes try restoring the computer to this date and see if it correct the problem.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2010 12:00

Well, if you were just on the public MS forums, it is odd that they wouldn't just offer any advice they might have, but the reason that MS might officially refer you to Dell is because when you buy a computer with the OS installed on it, it is that manufacturer that provides support for the Windows OS, not MS, and unless you purchased a "software" contract, the most Dell usually can do is advise you to reinstall Windows.  As for the error your are getting,

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 22nd, 2010 13:00

And keep in mind, that if the OS was installed by Dell (likely), Microsoft won't provide support. And Dell only supports software they installed - I think - for 30 days from date of purchase. After that, you're on your own, which is probably why you came here.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 22nd, 2010 13:00

Always include the version of Windows in your posts. :emotion-5:

Are you logged into an account with Administrator privileges?

Are you sure the software you're trying to install is compatible with the version of Windows running on your system?

Ron

2.7K Posts

March 23rd, 2010 00:00

Hi Oxraid

Go to the start button in the search box type services click on the little icon to the right when services starts look down the list for windows installer and make sure its set to manual , if its set to disable it will not let you install anything , you can right click on that line then select properties then in the box in the center you will see how to set it to manual .click apply then ok then exit services !! I hope this helps you .

Good Luck 

No Events found!