Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2013 11:00

QuickSet popups are Not alwasy on top

I got my Vostro 3460 notebook about a year ago, but since then I always had a small bug with the QuickSet notifiers.
If I run a full screen application like Chrome, Internet Explorer or any other windowed application, the QuickSet indicators are hidden behind them. If there is no full screen window opened, the notifiers work as they should. 

I found this old unanswered thread about this issue: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/18429247.aspx
And also this other site having a column discussing the issue: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130104100413AAEZBEl

But neither of them helped me solve the problem.
I use Windows 7 Professional 64bit, my BIOS is updated to the latest version available, and this is also true to my 11.1.42 version QuickSet application.

Could someone help me fix this problem?
Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 28th, 2013 23:00

Hi quieThu,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the system again and then suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Dell Quickset’ on your system. Please use the uninstaller in the link below to uninstall the program.

http://bit.ly/awqbFM

Please let me know if this helps.

6 Posts

August 29th, 2013 01:00

Hello Dell-Ravi Ch!

Thank you for helping me out, but I already did all your suggestions before I started this thread.
Sadly the uninstaller app you gave me did not see the QuickSet executable uninstaller, so I were only able to uninstall it from the windows control panel/uninstall a program app. 
After a restart I re-installed the QuickSet app again (for the third time now) but unfortunately the problem still occurs.

I made a video, just to clarify what is really happening here: http://youtu.be/3RWUPVs0rdI

During the video, I continuously push the volume media keys, but as you can see if a window goes full-screen the notification disappears. However, the system volume still changes, only the notification goes away.

What do you think?
Thanks for your answer!

PS: If a Youtube video is maximized to full screen from a full screen browser window, the notifications are appear just like they should. If I exit the full screen youtube video, so just the browser remains full screen, the problem occurs again.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 31st, 2013 05:00

Hi quieThu,

I would suggest you to restore the system to factory state to check if it fixes the issue. If you have not reinstalled the operating system on your computer before then PC restore option will be available. Please follow the steps mentioned below for performing the pc restore on a Windows 7 computer.

1. Back up all the data from the computer before proceeding to next steps.

2. Unplug all the devices including your printer, camera and memory stick.

3. Restart the computer.

4. Press the "F8" key repeatedly as soon as you see the Dell logo. Do not stop until you see the Advanced Boot Options screen.

5. Press the down arrow and choose "Repair your computer." Hit "Enter."

6. Select the keyboard layout "US" from the drop-down menu and click "OK."

7. Log into your account as an administrator. Type in your password. Click "OK."

8. Click "Dell Factory Image Restore" at the bottom of the options.

9. Click "Next" in the window that opens.

10. Click to check the box next to "Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition" to confirm and click "Next." This will generate an operation that will take about 45 minutes to complete. Click "Finish" when the process is complete to restart your computer.

Please let me know if this helps.

6 Posts

September 1st, 2013 03:00

Hello Ravi CH,

The method you offered is not suitable for me unfortunately.
My machine came with Ubuntu pre-installed, then after a HDD format I installed my copy of Windows 7 Professional on it. Naturally, I used an official ISO from an MSDN source to set up my computer, but after I installed all the proper drivers (including QuickSet), the problem I present here occurred and still occurs to date. 

I thought it is just a small bug in the drivers and will be fixed sometime later, so I always kept my drivers up to date, but after a year without a change I hoped to get some support from you.

My vostro's service tag is:<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Thanks for your help!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 04:00

Hi quieThu,

I would suggest you to check for the issue by performing the clean boot on the system with only Windows services and Dell Quickset services. Please follow the steps mentioned in the link below to clean boot Windows 7 computer.

http://bit.ly/12PfxI

Also, I would suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue gets fixed.

6 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 04:00

Hello Ravi Ch,

The new user account test was a great idea, and I'll be honest with you, I didn't even tried the clean boot procedure after that. 
When I entered the new account, I got a fresh stock desktop indeed, and the quickset popups were actually always on top of every full-screen window.

Right away I checked the running services and stuff to find the difference between this new and my everyday account. However the first thing that caught my eyes was the always visible taskbar. Ever since I use windows I always used the "Auto-hide taskbar" feature, 'cause it is always nice to have a slightly larger work space on screen.

Now please check out this video to see how the taskbar auto-hide feature effects the visibility of quickset popups on my machine: 

Now I think this could be a problem that only a driver update could solve, but hopefully I'm wrong. Still wish you could help me on this, the taskbar auto-hide is a really neat feature and I prefer that over the visible popups, but also it would be great to have them both.

Thanks for your help!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 4th, 2013 07:00

Hi quieThu,

Great observation. I see that quickset works correctly without the ‘Auto hide’ feature enabled on the new account you may have to continue to use this without the ‘Auto hide’ feature.

No Events found!