Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 19th, 2010 05:00

Recover Dell Studio 1558 using recovery partition?

I really hope someone can help me. 

A while back I got a virus and I couldn't remove it so I decided to re-install Windows 7 with the installation disk provided with my laptop.

I never got any of the programmes back which came preinstalled with my laptop and My Dell Downloads never worked for me.

Recently I discovered I could use the recovery partition to put it back to factory settings but I cant do this because from what I have discovered from the internet, I need the Dell DataDafe 2.0 Local Backup program to do this. Does anyone know how I can reset it without this or even how I can get the program back? Thanks :)

• 

16.7K Posts

July 19th, 2010 06:00

rabdomlynn,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

There is a Dell Restore Partiton on this computer. Sometimes this program can become corrupted or deleted if you have formatted you hard drive and reinstall Windows. If it still on the hard drive you can try the steps to below to restore. If not you will have to manuall reinstall Windows and programs.

Dell Factory Image Restore

The Dell™ Factory Image Restore tool replaces PC Restore. Access it by pressing the    key when booting up . Choose the option that reads "Repair Your Computer"

2 Posts

November 6th, 2012 23:00

Hello,

I am an owner of DELL STUDIO 1558.

I also wanted to reinstall Windows 7 64 bit from recovery partition, but my computer doesn't respond to pressing when starting.  It doesn't respond to FN+ or ctrl+ .

Is there any other key to enter this recovery menu?

Thanks for help.

Regards.

Jarek Zurek

2 Posts

November 7th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

Nothing happens. The computer doesn't respond to pressing. The first screen with DELL logo shows in the right down corner two possible options: for setup and for Boot options.

The computer starts Windows and that's it. I can see, that there is a recovery partition available.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 7th, 2012 06:00

Hi Jaro1,

I’d like to know what happens exactly when you press F8 on the computer. Normally it should go to advanced boot options menu.

If the screen is coming up with ‘Resuming windows’ message while you boot up the computer. Please boot the computer into the windows desktop. Press the ‘Start’ button and click on ‘Shutdown’ button and see that computer shuts down properly and then try the F8 option.

Please let me know if this helps.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 8th, 2012 10:00

Hi Jaro1,

I’d like you to change the ‘Function Key Behavior’ setting in the BIOS to ‘Function Key First’ for issue resolution. Please follow the steps mentioned below to change the ‘Function Key Behavior’ setting in the BIOS.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the BIOS screen pops up.
  3. Move to the ‘Advanced’ tab using the Right arrow key.
  4. Move to the ‘Function Key Behavior’ using the down arrow key.
  5. Click on ‘Enter’ and select ‘Function Key First’ using the down arrow key.
  6. Click on Enter.
  7. Press F10 and exit.
  8. Restart the computer and check for issue resolution.

Secondly if the above steps don’t work try using an external keyboard and check for issue resolution.

Please let me know if this helps.

1 Message

November 11th, 2012 07:00

hi mate. i ve been experiencing the same issue when trying to restore my dell studio. I have followed the instructions posted above and it worked as far as bringing up the restore option in tue f8 menu. unfortunately that is where it stopped. after pressing f8 the further menu opened and i selected the opton to restore. it then told me opening files but then just started windows as normal rather than running through a restore. any ideas?

thanks

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 12th, 2012 08:00

Hi pezza86,

The steps you performed to do a Pc restore is correct but I am afraid the PC restore image is corrupted. The only option left out is to perform the manual operating system reinstallation from the Operating system DVD.

Please reply for any queries.

1 Message

March 14th, 2013 16:00

Hello,

I am an owner of DELL STUDIO 1558.

I also wanted to reinstall Windows 7 64 bit from recovery partition, but my computer doesn't respond to pressing when starting.  It doesn't respond to FN+ or ctrl+ .

Is there any other key to enter this recovery menu?

Thanks for help.

Regards.

Jarek Zurek

No Events found!